Create another partition in Windows

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm using Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and I installed Windows 7 using Boot Camp.
I want to create another partition for Windows for personal files.
How can I do that?
I used some Windows applications such as Acronis but it was unable to identify partitions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice is not to attempt to do it. Once Windows is installed on a Boot Camp created partition, creating another partition within Windows may either wind up damaging the Windows boot sector or your Mac OS X boot sector. Do not use Acronis True Image, Ghost, or any other similar program as they do not work. (you already found that out) The Windows 7 Disk Manager will work but it will damage the boot sector in the process.

The only safe way to create two partitions for Windows is not to use the Boot Camp assistant to install Windows. But instead use Disk Utility from your install DVD to create the partitions first and then install Windows manually. That will work if done carefully.

And do you really need two partitions? I used to create partitions in Windows for everything but came to realize it's a lot easier to just keep everything on the same partition.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi,
I have 320GB hard disk.
I created 75GB partition for Windows 7 using Boot Camp, and I installed Windows successfully, then I created another 75GB partition using Mac Disk Utility.
Now I have three partitions and everything is working fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK great. Yes, Disk Utility is better to use (as I indicated above) rather than the Windows 7 Disk Manager. You probably had enough free space for Disk Utility to work with. Thanks for posting back. Have fun and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.