ATV Audio connection

Reaction score
Okay I am really close to buying an apple TV as probably getting this weekend. I have done a lot of research and I think it's going to be fine for what I am trying to do.

My question is about the audio connection on the ATV, on the back of the unit it's a digital audio correct? or optical audio? I have an optical audio input on my receiver system where the ATV will go but its being used by my Sat receiver. I have two aux inputs on my receiver system can I use one of those with an adapter of sort? The hdmi would go right to my tv as my receiver system is a few years old and has no hdmi inputs.

Thanks for the help...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First off, optical is digital.

There are two types of digital audio connections - coaxial and optical.

The ATV has an optical port.

You need to verify which one your receiver has.

If it is optical on the receiver, then you'll be looking for an "optical switch". The switch will allow you to connect multiple optical devices to a single output. The only hassle is that you'll have to walk over to the switch and change it when you want to change the input. Should be able to find one at Amazon or monoprice for $10-$20, maybe less.

The coaxial basically looks like a standard old RCA plug. If that's what you have on the receiver, post back and we'll take a look at a different route.

OP
decoman
Reaction score
First off, optical is digital.

There are two types of digital audio connections - coaxial and optical.

The ATV has an optical port.

You need to verify which one your receiver has.

If it is optical on the receiver, then you'll be looking for an "optical switch". The switch will allow you to connect multiple optical devices to a single output. The only hassle is that you'll have to walk over to the switch and change it when you want to change the input. Should be able to find one at Amazon or monoprice for $10-$20, maybe less.

The coaxial basically looks like a standard old RCA plug. If that's what you have on the receiver, post back and we'll take a look at a different route.

I have the optical port on my receiver so i would need the "switch" then?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, it'll be called an optical or toslink switch. Here's one from monoprice so you'll know what you're looking for.

You'll need an optical cable from each device to the switch, plus another from the switch to your receiver.

OP
decoman
Reaction score
Yep, it'll be called an optical or toslink switch. Here's one from monoprice so you'll know what you're looking for.

You'll need an optical cable from each device to the switch, plus another from the switch to your receiver.

ok thanks, looked on mono all ready, cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Does your tv have optical out? Many current sets do, and you could run everything via hdmi to your tv and then output one optical to your receiver.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That'd work also, if you switch over and run the audio for the satellite to the TV instead of the receiver.

You would need to use HDMI for the satellite to the TV also or you'd lose any 5.1 audio you're getting from the sat receiver (I don't think there are any TVs that have optical in).

I'd probably verify (owners manual) that the TV will pass thru 5.1, although, if it's got an optical out, am sure it will.

OP
decoman
Reaction score
Does your tv have optical out? Many current sets do, and you could run everything via hdmi to your tv and then output one optical to your receiver.

ok I looked on the set yes it has an optical out.

OP
decoman
Reaction score
so currently my tv has a hdmi going to sat receiver and my sat receiver has the optical going to the receiver. I do not use the tv volume at all.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check it out with the setup you have now, move the optical cable from the sat receiver to the TV. Head into the audio settings on the TV and set it to pass thru the audio. Should work.

This would be a lot more convenient than the switch for sure. Then the audio is just passing automatically from the TV when you change the input from the sat to the ATV without any manual switching.

OP
decoman
Reaction score
Check it out with the setup you have now, move the optical cable from the sat receiver to the TV. Head into the audio settings on the TV and set it to pass thru the audio. Should work.

This would be a lot more convenient than the switch for sure. Then the audio is just passing automatically from the TV when you change the input from the sat to the ATV without any manual switching.

I will do when I get the ATV,so the ATV would goto the receiver or to the sat then?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The sat and ATV go to the TV via HDMI.

Then optical to the audio receiver from the TV.

OP
decoman
Reaction score
The sat and ATV go to the TV via HDMI.

Then optical to the audio receiver from the TV.

okay that's what I thought, I tried it with just the TV right now and no sound comes thru the receiver. How is the sound coming from the Sat to the tv? do I need the audio rca's along with the hdmi?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
audio would be going through the HDMI cable.

You need to go into the TV audio settings and set it up for audio pass thru.

OP
decoman
Reaction score
audio would be going through the HDMI cable.

You need to go into the TV audio settings and set it up for audio pass thru.

I broke out the tv manual looked up the audio connection and it says "if your sound system has a optical digital audio input you can connect it to the optical audio out (gray area) at the rear of the plasma TV. This is active only when receiving digital audio with programs from the DTV/TV CABLE/ANTENNA input."

So sounds like I can only use the optical output on the TV if I use a coaxial connection from my sat receiver.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that's a drag. Since you're getting the ATV, I'd just go back to the idea of using a switch.

That was worth checking out though.

OP
decoman
Reaction score
Got the ATV2 and its hook up and working great. Got Pandora to run thru airfoil.

As for the audio still waiting for the optical switch to arrive so the ATV2 is hooked up thru optical and my sat box is thru analog for the time being. I really wish hdmi carried audio from my sat box to my tv and pass thru to the receiver oh well.

OP
decoman
Reaction score
BTW

i got my harmony remote to control ATV which was a pleasant surprise was able to set up a command to switch everything to the ATV setting and start playing stuff I was very please I could do this!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.