Monitor suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey-I need a new monitor for web design/development/photo/graphic stuff. I've been looking around and everyone seems to suggest I get something with IPS. I've looked around and kinda narrowed it down to these:

NEC EA231WMi-BK - $265
HP ZR24w - $410
Dell U2410 - $450(with coupon code)

I'm open to suggestions, though. I've heard the HP has contrast issues. I've heard the NEC has refresh rate issues. I've heard the wide gamut display on the Dell can be a pain when switching between programs that use it and don't. Kind of a newb to the photo/graphic stuff. I would prefer a 24" 16:10 ratio monitor if it is worth the money over the NEC. Don't think I could go less than 23".

Anyone have experience with any of these or other recommendations? I can't really go over $450. Photo stuff will be for web only. Maybe that makes a difference? Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core i5
hp is the way to go i had two of those bad boys ,before i went from the dark side to mac

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with any of these or other recommendations? I can't really go over $450. Photo stuff will be for web only. Maybe that makes a difference? Any help would be appreciated.

One of the best resources for monitor reviews and comparisons is PC World magazine. Every few months they update their "Top Ten Monitors" listing. I recommend dropping by your nearest public library and checking out the last two or three issues. The Top Ten Monitors article will be near the back of the magazine.

It is a little-known secret that Samsung makes all of Apple's Apple-branded external monitors for them. Apple's monitors are almost universally hailed as superb, but they are also terribly overpriced.

Interestingly, you can usually find very highly rated Samsung monitors which are extremely similar to Apple's monitors, for a fraction of the price of Apple's monitors.

Here is a current deal going on right now that you might really like:

Samsung BX2331 23" LED LCD Monitor
$229 with $1 shipping!
Samsung BX2331 23" LED LCD Monitor | Overstock.com

Note: This monitor has VGA and HDMI inputs. Depending on which Mac you have, you will probably need an adapter to connect to it. Let me know if you would like a recommendation on where to get one at a good price.

If you like this deal, don't delay. They may be sold-out very soon.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.