MacBook Pro, iPad, and LCD TV

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here. This looks like a great place to get questions answered!

I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad. I also have a fairly new 47-inch LCD HD television.

I'd like to occasionally use the television as the monitor for my MacBook Pro, wirelessly, to avoid cable clutter. I'd also like to be able to do the same with my iPad.

I realize that I could use an AppleTV to download movies to my MacBook Pro and show them on the television, but that isn't what I want to do. I want to be able to use the television for everything. All wirelessly.

How can I do this? (Thanks!)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You may have a few years yet to wait.

Reaction score
You can do it with this product:

The HDelight $160
The HDelight | Wireless 1080p HD PC-to-TV Transmission Kit | Wireless PC to TV Transmitter

This product requires that the sending device have an HDMI output. So, the tough part will be getting an iPad to HDMI adapter. These exist, but you have to get them from China, they aren't imported to the U.S. yet, as far as I know.

You can get an iPad to HDMI adapter here:

Dock Connector to HDMI Adapter for iPad (about $43)
Dock Connector to HDMI Adapter for iPad (White) - US$ 40.80 - China wholesale PickEgg.com

You will also need an HDMI Adapter for your MacBook Pro. If you have a recent MacBook Pro it has a miniDisplayPort video port. Here is what you need:

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (about $$6.50)
For only $5.32 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapters

Enjoy!

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I stand corrected - looks to be a nice piece of kit if you're going to have line of site between the 2 devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.