Strange behavior with cross-references in Word 2008

Reaction score
I've been using Word 2008 to generate a large report. I have two strange behaviors using the cross-reference function that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.6: I created captions and then generated cross-references inside the report. No problems with this. However, then I received a chapter (.doc file) from someone else (PC user) to add to the report. I pasted the text and figures in using "paste special" with the "unformatted text" option so that I could update the chapter using my formats (she didn't use them or use captions). Now, however, when I open the cross-reference panel, none of the figures are listed anymore! It's blank. (And so are the other cross-reference panels.)

2. Older Mac Desktop (pre-Intel) with OSX 10.5.8: Open the same document from #1 above - before the addition of the new text that leads to trouble described there - but here the cross-reference panel that works fine in #1, is blank here.

Has anyone run into this problem? Any ideas? This is a huge document with updates coming from different people, so formatting is painful.

Thank you in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like you may have lost the links from the captions to the cross-reference panel when you pasted the added chapter in. Why that happened, I have no idea unless there was some incompatibility between the Windows generated document and Mac Word 2008.

First, I hope you were able to undo and get all your cross-references back.

Second, here's what I suggest:

Unless someone else can provide some useful input to your question, post this same question on the Microsoft sponsored Word forum. One of their Office MVP support people should be able to offer guidance on how to solve this. They're volunteers and very good at what they do. Give them a try.

Here is the LINK.

Let us know how it went.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.