FTP Program that does the following?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
I love cuteftp on windows, but the mac version is slightly different.

What I want is the two panels (Local and Remote) So cyberduck is out of the equation, and the ability to display files by date modified - top to bottom

This was dead easy on cuteftp for windows, as I could just right click in the remote window and choose 'Sorting' > By Date and descending, and then the most recently uploaded & modified files appear at the top of the file listing. PERFECT...

I am however unable do the same in the mac version. I contacted cuteftp support and then told me:

Please note that both products are engineered entirely differently, and the Mac version is not going to have some of the PC features. The Mac version was designed to be a bit more simplified and I'm afraid it may not have the functionality you are seeking. If you go to CuteFTP Mac and Preferences, then go to Display, you will see the settings for time stamps. Unfortunately there is no option for the file Modified Date stamp.

Well, that is OK. CuteFTP cannot do what I want. So can you recommend an ftp program that fulfils my needs please?

Thats 2 panels, local and remote and the ability to display files by most recently modified, top to bottom.

I dont mind paying, I dont need it to be free - I just want something that will do what I need for basic straightforward FTP transfer...

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try Filezilla, it's the one I use and I love it, it has the two panels for remote and local AND you can sort by most recently modified.

FileZilla - Client Download

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
Try Filezilla, it's the one I use and I love it, it has the two panels for remote and local AND you can sort by most recently modified.

FileZilla - Client Download

Hope this helps

- Simon

Thanks for the recommendation. I have downloaded it and will have a play tomorrow...

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please chime in :)

Thanks again !

Reaction score
FireFTP

Try Firefox addon "FireFTP".

Easy setup and very easy to use for one account or many.

Have fun.

Reaction score
FTP downloading (accessing files on a remote server) is built right into OS X, but not uploading (placing files from your Mac onto a remote server).

You can use an FTP program to access an FTP site, but if you just need to download and upload a few files, the capabilities built-into OS X are both sufficient and very easy to use.

- To download a file from an FTP server, in the Finder (that is, with your desktop showing) choose:
Go menu --> Connect to Server,
and enter the FTP server's address. The address will be in this form: "ftp://servername.com"
- If the site requires a password, a small window will appear allowing you to enter it.
- A new window will appear on your Mac's desktop for the FTP server
looking much like a window for a folder on your hard drive. A list of all of the files on the FTP server will appear in the window.
- Drag the file that you want to download out of this window.
That's it.

If you want to be able to upload files from your Mac just as easily as you can download them, try:

Fire Widget (free)
Fire Widget

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have downloaded it and will have a play tomorrow...

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please chime in :)

Thanks again !

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Transmit yet. I've seen it called the best ftp client of ANY platform.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.