• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

burning a program to disk

Reaction score
I have a new iMac and Macbook Pro that I am using now, but still have a PC in shed that I would like to use for copying movies from DVD to my external hard drive.
I am currently using Handbrake for the movies. Is it possible to burn the handbrake onto a disk and reload the handbrake program onto the PC from the disk?
I do not have internet connection where the PC is at the moment, and do not want it out there.
I am very confused in trying to bring the handbrake program to the PC from the iMac or my Macbook Pro, and would appreciate any help.
I am trying very hard to avoid having to lug the PC back into the house and reconnect it to the internet and redo the PC just to download the handbrake program.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can burn files onto a disk by right clicking on the files you want to burn. Then select "Burn XXXX to disk."

Need to make sure that you are burning the Windows version of Handbreak to the disk otherwise you won't be able to run the program on Windows.

OP
E
Reaction score
Is it possible to download it to my Macbook Pro and then bring the Macbook to the PC and then hook up a USB cable and transfer the handbrake that way?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is it possible to download it to my Macbook Pro and then bring the Macbook to the PC and then hook up a USB cable and transfer the handbrake that way?

Probably would be easier if you had a USB thumb drive, or external HDD. All you would have to do is download Handbreak onto your Mac. Then plug in your USB device and drag the file onto your USB device. Eject it, and plug it into your Windows machine.

OP
E
Reaction score
dvd

I cannot seem to copy it to a disk at all. I try right clicking, but it downloads onto the Mac, and I can't take it from Mac. I must be doing something wrong here!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cannot seem to copy it to a disk at all. I try right clicking, but it downloads onto the Mac, and I can't take it from Mac. I must be doing something wrong here!

You need to download the file first onto your Mac. Then do the right click to burn it to a disk.

OP
E
Reaction score
disk

I have it downloaded on iMac now, and disk is in. I cannot find where to transfer data now

OP
E
Reaction score
disk

I think I may have it now. Just got something to burn on the disk this time. I will bring disk up to the shed and fire up PC and try it out. Thanks for the help.
I will post if it works or not.

OP
E
Reaction score
disk

Got the handbrake installed, but it now asks for a .netframe. I gave up on the idea, and will continue running the DVDs on the iMac.
Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.