mysterious files on desktop+slowdown- help!

Reaction score
hi everyone,

over the past months i have noticed some weird things happening with my macbook and im starting to think i have some sort of virus or something... i have two folders on my desktop that literally appeared from nowhere...

first is called Facebook | Friends_files and contains random facebook stuff, like very small pics,
and the second one is page.php_files and also contains little random logos...

plus my laptop is always slow... do i have something serious to worry about? what do i do?

any help is appreciated, i am weirded out by this...
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Well, as someone here said, "Computer virus" does NOT mean "computer problem I don't understand." As there are no Mac viruses, that is not your problem.

It sounds to me like those folders were accidentally dragged off of a Facebook page and copied onto your desktop. In which case they are safe to delete.

In what way is your Macbook running slow? Is the internet connection slow, are programs opening up slowly, are commands slow to be recognized, are you getting the spinning beach ball a lot...? How old is your computer? Model and specs? How full is your hard drive?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
a basic troubleshoot for slow computers: repair permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.