• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting Mkv to Avi or Divx

Reaction score
Hello, Could some body tell me how to convert an MKV into DiVX or Avi or another usual format, loosing a minimum of quality.
Thank you very much for an answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not easy, and why?
ffmpegx will do it, and you can select quality level, but curious why you want to. MKV is already compressed.

OP
D
Reaction score
Mkv

thank you for your answer Kevriano, I hav a panasonic tv , which apparently does not accept it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok, so you need to convert to a format that will play in a DVD player? Or to play from a memory stick direct to the TV?
Just want to be clear before advising further.

Reaction score
Hey Kev, I have the same issue. I want to play files on my xbox 360, which only accepts avi and divx, however most of my catalog is in mkv. Still suggest ffmpegx? Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I would say ffmpegx still, or maybe Video Monkey, which I haven't had chance to test yet, but will convert MKV I believe.
I would also think, and it may be better, that older versions of Handbrake would do the job better. They are still available, you would need 0.9.3 I believe, which was the last version to support AVI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
iSkysoft video converter does the job.

Also you could consider buying a cyclone HD enclosure from Sumvision - this is what I have my MKV's on and play them through HDMI on the TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iSkysoft video converter does the job.

Also you could consider buying a cyclone HD enclosure from Sumvision - this is what I have my MKV's on and play them through HDMI on the TV.

Yes it may well do, but it's dreadful, and is seriously dodgy.
There are many ways of playing MKV on your TV, that's not what was asked though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2GHz Intel Core i7 4GB Ram
I have used handbrake to convert MKV files its worked good so far, i usually convert to quicktime though not avi, i believe handbrake has an option for avi as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have used handbrake to convert MKV files its worked good so far, i usually convert to quicktime though not avi, i believe handbrake has an option for avi as well.

Older versions yes, as I indicated, not the current version though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Yes it may well do, but it's dreadful, and is seriously dodgy.
There are many ways of playing MKV on your TV, that's not what was asked though.

What iskysoft? I've had no problems with it.

And forgive me for trying to be helpful.

I also believe Toast Titanium 11 handles MKV conversion now as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know you were, wasn't being offish, though looking back it may seem so.
Anyway, iSkysoft and it's clones are considered a kind of spam software, and are not looked upon favourably. The results are not what you'd call quality.
Toast 11 possibly does, not gone for the upgrade yet, but it's not cheap, so may be out of the quesion here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I guess it depends what you need to do with it. For a simple convertor it does a pretty good job. Of course like everything it depends what you put into it. I use it for original material generally shot in HD - edited in FCP - exported via the quicktime conversion method and then uploaded to my Vimeo channel. Then if I'm asked for an Avi version or m4v it does the job simply and effectively. Wasn't aware it's was regarded in the way you describe, but definitely cheaper than Toast Titanium Pro. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, for that I imagine it's fine then, as ultimately quality isn't a great issue I guess.
Interesting that you use it for filmed HD content too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Right, for that I imagine it's fine then, as ultimately quality isn't a great issue I guess.
Interesting that you use it for filmed HD content too.

If you have a good workflow in FCP / Compressor it will yield the results.

Then tinker with the settings in iskysoft, there is very little loss in quality. Bringing down a file that was originally 115gb to around 2gb - showing on a 42inch plasma. Some digital noise in dark scenes - but that's actually more to do with the quality of the camera, as even movies shot on Red have bad artefacting. I haven't tried ffmpegx - maybe I'll give it a go sometime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.