• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Sony hints it could pull its music from iTunes in ongoing war with Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Sony hints it could pull its music from iTunes in ongoing war with Apple
AppleInsider | Sony hints it could pull its music from iTunes in ongoing war with Apple
After Apple rejected a Sony e-reader application for the iPad from its App Store for not complying with the rules, Sony has fired back and suggested it is hoping to be able to exit Apple's iTunes Music Store.

War looms as Sony hints that it will abandon iTunes - in Australia
iTunes: Sony May Withdraw Artists From Apple's iTunes Store

It seems Sony Australia is at war with Apple. But if they pull their music from itunes here, they'd better their digital distribution method works. Cause if it does not then that's a lot of lost revenues. It's a big gamble. And right now Apple is one you don't want as an enemy. Sony forgets that without Apple there'd be no mass digital music industry. It'd still be the drive to the store and pick up a cd (ie. the 90's) still. Sony need Apple too I think. Sure there is Apple's 30%. But I dunno. What do you all think?

Reaction score
Yeah... It seems Sony is playing a losing hand here. I can just imagine Apple's reaction - "Okay? Go on then.". It seems to me, if it's really just over a e-reader app... It's pointless for Sony to press the issue. Sony "needs" Apple in this situation, Apple does not "need" Sony...

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The Compact Disc's days are numbered. That is a fact. We just don't know when. And exactly as the above poster said. When the CD dies you'll need to already be have a good good digital distribution method. And if you run from the biggest (ie. itunes) it does not pose well when the inevitable CD death comes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The merger (or buy out) of BMG by Sony made them one of the top distributors of music, but it was really the iTunes store and Apple that brought in the big $ for them.

This is just a lot of noise by Sony and saber rattling. It would be foolish for them to pull out of the iTunes store. Sometimes Apple plays hard ball with the rules but it is after all their "ball". :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
+1 for that, I think anyone in the entertainment business would be a little foolish to pull out of what is coming to be the biggest and fastest growing entertainment access program around.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The Sony execs aren't the brightest in the industry, I've actually seen first hand accounts of this because of my wife's job. So none of this is surprising news. But if they actually went ahead with this shallow threat, it would be nothing short of shooting themselves dead in the digital media distribution market. Their name doesn't hold the same weight as Apple's, (in this market) and most people are already fairly leery of the big record companies because of the image they represent.

I'd like to see them try, really I would. I just think it's a case of wittle doggie making big noise. Yeah, I said wittle.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That article sounds more like Sony just wants to build its own little walled garden. The fact that they "are not sure" if they will allow competitors devices access pretty much says it all. Sadly for Sony, they suck at this sort of thing.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
has no one remembered the super charged Apple TV that Sony have?

the PS3. how easy would it be to whack a download service into the XMB of the playstation?

this would reach out to people that dont neccassarily use computers a whole lot, but that like video games and TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It seems like Sony are acting like kids in a playground. Sour grapes IMO. It says it in the 1st paragraph
After Apple rejected a Sony e-reader application for the iPad from its App Store for not complying with the rules, Sony has fired back and suggested it is hoping to be able to exit Apple's iTunes Music Store.

What bc they have there Music in the iTunes Store that they are exempt from conforming to the App Store rules ?

There chucking a tantrum i reckon bc they didnt get here own way

And who are there sales team if they dont want to put there games for the iOS devices. Love them or hate them, if the craziness of Angry Birds is anything to go on, they only need 1 good game. But if they choose not too then it is there bad luck

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Wonder how long the artists would stay with their record label when it can't be in iTunes.
Also Sony had a chance to rule the portable world when the walkman was big they just
sat on their name and did not innovate.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well considering how hard it is to get a recoding contract for the majority of singers, they just might stay. But the big singers would move. And some of the smaller ones would go indie for itunes I think.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Let's assume for a second that Sony withdrew it's catalog from the iTMS. Yes, it would be bad for Sony but it would also be terrible for Apple. Losing the second largest label in the world would be a huge loss. And, whether or not you like some of these artists, you have to acknowledge the popularity of many of the artists on this list. I think we should take a step back and reflect on how this would be detrimental to both as opposed to focusing solely on how this will affect Sony negatively. Whether or not you like Sony, it's hard not to acknowledge the role they play in the music industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Let's assume for a second that Sony withdrew it's catalog from the iTMS. Yes, it would be bad for Sony but it would also be terrible for Apple. Losing the second largest label in the world would be a huge loss. And, whether or not you like some of these artists, you have to acknowledge the popularity of many of the artists on this list. I think we should take a step back and reflect on how this would be detrimental to both as opposed to focusing solely on how this will affect Sony negatively. Whether or not you like Sony, it's hard not to acknowledge the role they play in the music industry.

Very good point, but likewise those big artists would simply move to another record label. I'm putting myself quickly in the shoes of a major artist....

My manager just informs me "Sony has pulled out from the iTunes store...we're going to be losing X amount of dollars a year on this opportunity"

I would instantly move to a different record label, and if I'm a major person then someone will take me. Also, if I were a record label OTHER than Sony, I would be jumping right on top of every one of their clients to make them mine.
----------------------

Either way, Sony is at a loss.

Reaction score
Yeah... Granted Apple would lose out too. Due to contracts and other constraints, not every artist that would be angry with Sony for such a stupid move, would be able to leave Sony. So I'm sure there would be some loss for Apple. But the brunt of it, by a huge margin would be a loss to Sony, I would think.

Wouldn't be good for anybody, but it just seems to me that Sony would be on the short end if they took that action :|

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Very good point, but likewise those big artists would simply move to another record label.

Due to contracts and other constraints, not every artist that would be angry with Sony for such a stupid move, would be able to leave Sony.
Second quote answers the first. You can't just leave a contract because the label makes a business decision that you don't like. If your contract ends though, you're free to do as you please.

So I'm sure there would be some loss for Apple. But the brunt of it, by a huge margin would be a loss to Sony, I would think.
You're making it sound as if iTunes is the only means through which a label can distribute it's music - "if you don't use iTunes, your label is screwed." Although it may be the largest, it is by no means the only one. There are various other channels through which they can distribute content. Apple would be smart to try and negotiate with Sony as opposed to being arrogant.

Reaction score
Oh no, I was by no means trying to make it sound like iTunes is the only way. Simply the largest. I don't know the specific numbers but I have no doubt iTunes is probably by far the largest distributor for any label that uses them. I was just trying to get at the fact, that it would hurt Sony more than Apple if push came to shove. Not that Apple wouldn't take a hit at all and Sony would go under. Or that Apple wouldn't negotiate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
I think the main question is are people who are happy in the Apple ecosystem going to want to fracture their content libraries? One of the things I love about iTunes is that everything is right there. Can you imagine having to remember which label your artists are with so you can open the right app to listen to/purchase their music. God forbid you want to make a playlist.

I think this is sour grapes on Sony's part. They might get some traction, but I don't see them getting popular enough to tell Apple where to stick it. Definitely saber rattling with all the ifs in that interview. We have a saying in the south: If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt when he jumps. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Reaction score
Second quote answers the first. You can't just leave a contract because the label makes a business decision that you don't like. If your contract ends though, you're free to do as you please.

You're making it sound as if iTunes is the only means through which a label can distribute it's music - "if you don't use iTunes, your label is screwed." Although it may be the largest, it is by no means the only one. There are various other channels through which they can distribute content. Apple would be smart to try and negotiate with Sony as opposed to being arrogant.

If im not mistaken, if an artist leaves a label, the label still has control of the distribution rights to all content prior to the artist leaving the label. im not 100% sure on that, but if its correct and Sony does pull out of iTunes, Apple will feel the sting pretty good. As those people who want music by an artist under the Sony/BMG label will get it with out iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Since 2001-ish, Sony has been in with Sumitomo Mitsui Bank's extended keiretsu. Among that diversified portfolio of companies it ends up feeding electronics to customers that are in the oil, automotive, chemical, electronics, food, heavy machinery, excavation, aerospace and alcohol industries. They also cross lines with impunity to the Tokai group. I'm sure Sony will be just fine long-term if their music is a loss leader for a year or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Right now it would just hurt the music industry and its already feeling losses and as for artists with contracts it will not be the first time they met their contractual agreements
with sub par material just to honor an agreement or less songs per album who knows this
might strengthen cd sales.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.