MBP Running Extremely Hot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP|i7 2.66ghz|512mb GT330M|4gb DDR3|500gb 7200rpm SATA|HD Display
Hey everyone, had a question regarding the safety of my mbp. I've had it for about 2 months and in that time I've been playing quite a lot of games; I have Starcraft 2 and The Orange Box from Steam. All in all the machine has handled them great with little/no chug on high settings. Typically running one of these games gets my cpu into the high 70's or low 80s (celsius) which wasn't a concern to me. Last Friday I purchase Counter Strike: Source and was disturbed to note that when running the game, my cpu skyrockets to an average temp of about 102. Should I be worried about cooking anything? I know there are failsafes to shut the machine down in the event of catastrophe but am I hurting my computer in the long run putting this much stress on it? I have a cooling pad as well but for some reason cs: source is extremely clocking the system even though it runs the same engine as my other Steam games.

Thanks for reading
-James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes I can just be playing Bejewelled Blitz on Facebook and my MBP can get between 80 - 102 just playing that. Then a minute later the fans kick in and it soon controls the temp to around 60-80.
As you say there are failsafes to keep the MBP safe. It will shut down if it gets too hot (I think we are talking around 130 though for this to happen.

Hope this helps a little

- Simon

Reaction score
I agree with Simon. My wife and I don't game on our Macs really at all, even those smaller games like Bejewelled. But Apple had their heads on straight when they designed these machines :) They will keep themselves within safe parameters, and if anything keeps them from doing so, there are failsafes to keep them from getting damaged.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes I can just be playing Bejewelled Blitz on Facebook and my MBP can get between 80 - 102 just playing that. Then a minute later the fans kick in and it soon controls the temp to around 60-80.
As you say there are failsafes to keep the MBP safe. It will shut down if it gets too hot (I think we are talking around 130 though for this to happen.

Hope this helps a little

- Simon
The thing that concerns me is that it's running 100+ with the fans spinning at 6k+ rpm and a cooling pad under it. I suppose if it does fry in the next 10 months my warranty will have me covered.

Reaction score
I wouldn't like it running that hot either, personally. As I said, we don't game, and ours always stays literally ice cold unless we're really working it extremely hard, so I can't imagine it hot. But like we said, I am sure it would prevent damage to itself :) Gaming is hard on any machine, Windows or OS X based, as far as cooling goes unless it's specifically designed soley for gaming, which the Mac line is not. If you're really concerned, I wonder if it would be worth taking it to the Apple store to get looked at? Nothing wrong with being on the safe side, and like you said, if it does somehow get damaged and the failsafes don't protect it, you have the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I completely agree there. And this kind of thing is exactly what the Apple Genius Bar or Store is there for. If you are still worried take it in to them. I'm sure they won't mind having a look for you, and with your Applecare it won't cost anything but the trip there.

- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It only runs that hot with cs:source which is what baffles me. Normal op. temp with itunes and adium and a browser running stays pretty consistently in the mid 50's to low 60's. I don't think it's a problem with my mbp itself but I don't want to keep clocking it out if it's going to shorten the machine's life. I need to do some experiments with lowering the graphics settings in the game to see if that changes anything. I'm running what's recommended for my hardware :Confused:

Luckily though, Philly got an Apple store a little while back so it's not far if I need help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I was just going to ask what your graphics are set at too. When I play on my mbp, I usually set the resolution at max, and decrease/turn off all settings for extra unneeded effects. I get very consistent results like that, while still getting great grpahics.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been really busy and haven't had time to check up on this thread. I have an update though...which is somewhat discouraging. I was importing some HD footage to aftereffects, machine started to peak around 97c so I opened iStat to see what my fan readings were. Right Fan: 5500+ rpm; Left Fan: 230 rpm?!?!?! I may have a burnt out fan or iStat is just bonkers, going to restart and see what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.