Bootcamp Install Using Winclone

Reaction score
I've tried unsuccessfully to clone my Bootcamp partition from my original 250gb hard drive to my new 750gb. On the 250gb drive there were 32gb allocated to the Windows partition. On the new drive I want to go up to 100gb.

The steps I've gone through are to use Bootcamp assistant to partition the drive then used Winclone to clone the old partition and the restore feature to bring the data back in. After I do this everything seems to work as it should until I use the Windows OS and shut down and try to boot back into the Mac OS. It takes two or three times to get it to boot (Apple logo and spinning circle ad infinitum). Once I finally get it to boot back up and run "verify disk" it throws errors related to boot volumes. My first call to Apple indicated that there was a problem expanding my Bootcamp partition on the new drive (moving to 100gb from 35gb previously). When I deleted the partition and tried again last night, I get the same problem. My call to Apple today told me that I can't use Winclone to restore my partition and I have to use a Windows disk to do a fresh install of the OS in the Bootcamp partition and then move files and programs over a little at a time.

This doesn't seem to be right, unless my problem lies with trying to increase the partition allocated for Windows. Anyone have any advice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
WinClone is no longer being developed although there still is an active forum for users. Trying to do what you did almost always results in corruption of either the Windows boot sector or OS X. The problem arises because of the different sizes of the drives involved. Even when WinClone works, it's problematic. That's why it's no longer being developed.

It's probably best to start over. That means booting from your install DVD, removing the partitions, wiping the drive and then reinstall OS X and apps. Afterward, use the Boot Camp assistant to create a new partition and reinstall Windows. Sorry for all the extra work but if you came here first we would have advised you against using WinClone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.