Two small hairline cracks on the hinge of my unibody Macbook

Reaction score
Last night i realised that the two haves of my mac were not sitting flush, on closer inspection i realised that on the screen have there were two small hair line cracks coming from the very corners where the hinge is at. Any help of information as to why this may be would be greatly appreciated.

n.b i have not dropped my mac and it is only 5 months old

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If it is only 5 months old from new then take it to an Apple store and get it replaced or fixed.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Yes, take it to the Apple Store or you might kick yourself later when it gets even bigger and it isn't covered anymore.
There are three ways I can think of that maybe did it.
a. Pushing the screen to far back once
b. Picking up the the computer by the screen, it's a big no-no but I have observed plenty of people doing this
c. A manufacture defect that you didn't notice at first.

Reaction score
I thought only non- unibodies experienced this issue (if the cracks are where I am picturing) and that the unibody was supposed to fix this issue that is almost inevitable with non Unibody Macbooks. Can you include a picture? My MBP was less than one year old when it started getting these out of no where, and was told by apple that it was only cosmetic and it would not be covered under warranty. Well needless to say even with the utmost care the cracks eventually gave way and the whole screen fell off! Hopefully Apple has learned and yours may be fixed or replaced before your display falls off.

Reaction score
MacBook Pro CRACKED HINGE - anyone else?

I was very, very surprised to start seeing hairline cracks appear on the hinge on my MacBook Pro. At the first crack sighting, I thought it was a hair, but when I tried to brush it away, I could feel it was a crack. Not one to panic, I wasn't overly concerned, but wondered about how it randomly appeared out of nowhere. I never take my laptop anywhere. My laptop has NEVER been dropped, nor has my screen has ever been bent backwards, which seems at a glance that it could be the logical cause. It looks like a stress fracture, BUT, the hinge on this laptop has never been stressed (again, never a drop or a backward bend or any other kind of rough treatment...I baby it!).

Today I called Apple about it, as slowly but surely, there are more and more cracks appearing, and one of them is huge. The cracks are on the bottom (underside of the hinge, too, I just discovered today). I'm worried that my screen will soon separate from the body. AppleCare suggested that I take it in to my local Apple Store, which I will do tomorrow. My warranty extends through December 2011.

Has anyone else reported a cracked hinge on their Macbook Pro to Apple, with success on getting it repaired or the MBP replaced? It sure seems to me that this is a materials defect. AppleCare rep wasn't willing to say whether this was a known issue, but he did reiterate that I take 'er in to the Apple Store for inspection.

I am attaching a picture of it that I just took with my phone....

-Karen

cracked-hinge-macbook-pro.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Karen:

I would be surprised if they didn't offer to repair it for free. As a precautionary measure, make a backup of your hard drive prior to taking it on in. Use Time Machine to back up to an external drive.

Let us know how it went.

Reaction score
hi. not been on here for ages. thought i would log in. my unibody macbook also has 2 hailline cracks appeared overnight from the hinges. oh dear. 10 month old :(

Reaction score
my cracks are on the outter lid coming from the corner or the hinges...i am very careful with this item....:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
hi. not been on here for ages. thought i would log in. my unibody macbook also has 2 hailline cracks appeared overnight from the hinges. oh dear. 10 month old :(

My advice to the previous poster applies to you too, 10 months old it will still be under the 12month warranty, get it into the Apple Store before it runs out :)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.