Run the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) without a DVD drive

Reaction score
Ok, here is a challenge for everyone. How do you run the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) on a macbook when the internal DVD drive is busted and you don't have an external firewire DVD drive?

*There are rumors that you can image the AHT or the whole install disc to an external HD and boot it via Firewire. (tried both but it didn't work for me)

*There is obviously a way to install the AHT to the local filesystem or to a partition because Apple does it with all the new Macs. (I have already tried copying the AHT directory ".diagnostics" from the install DVD to "/System/Library/CoreServices/" in the local filesystem. AHT never starts when I hold down "D" and boot the system. So how does apple do it?

*Can you boot the install DVD using another macbook's internal DVD drive if you put it in target disk mode and connect via firewire?

*ethernet

MacBook 1,1
2.0GHz CoreDuo (Not Core"2"Duo)
2Gb Ram
OS X 10.6.6 (32bit)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forumns.

Probably not able to boot an another Mac as the original system discs are pretty much model restricted, but by all means give it a try. Gosh MacBooks go through an enormous number of optical drives it seems from posts here. A new optical dfrive or an external seems to be on the cards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.