• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Alienware Laptop Needs to lose some weight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
ok no worries to my mac family Im still 100% pro mac.... but Im a gamer and was just tired of switching platforms on my macs, so I decided to buy a laptop strictly for gaming ... i went with the new Alienware M17 fully loaded laptop with all the bells and whitsles... i have to say its such a cool looking computer, really love the attention to detail, from the purple illuminated keys to the pulsating alien logo... my only complaints are that this sucker weighs a ton, not only does it way a ton but i had to purchase the alienware backpack becuase i dont think any other case fits this beast... I wonder why they made it so big and bulky considering that mac makes a super powered laptop that weighs practically nothing..... had to give my two cents good thing is im building biceps lugging this monster around lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I don't know much about Alienware laptops, but I hear their supposedly the "Top of the line gaming PC's" Maybe the extra weight is mostly from extra graphics hardware, but they probably could stand to lose some weight. :| I googled a pic, and that laptop is pretty bulky.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
From the battery(ies) too.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ahh that explains alot of weight never even noticed it has more than one battery...

There is a price to be paid when you game on a notebook/laptop. Since it's very power hungry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You have to keep in mind, Alienware computers are designed to be a desktop-replacement, especially a 17" laptop. These laptops have high-end/high-power consumption components, which are powered by large batteries (as mentioned before).

I'd love to pick one of these up if I could afford it, but buying a complete desktop system with equal or better specs, is just a much more cost-effective solution for my needs.

However, having a light-weight laptop, with the power of my desktop would be a pretty sweet move.

Just my $0.02 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
From the battery(ies) too.

yea, which is why gaming laptops are such a hassle... sure their portable, but honestly you start gaming and either you finish in half an hour, or you plug it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
ok no worries to my mac family Im still 100% pro mac.... but Im a gamer and was just tired of switching platforms on my macs, so I decided to buy a laptop strictly for gaming ... i went with the new Alienware M17 fully loaded laptop with all the bells and whitsles... i have to say its such a cool looking computer, really love the attention to detail, from the purple illuminated keys to the pulsating alien logo... my only complaints are that this sucker weighs a ton, not only does it way a ton but i had to purchase the alienware backpack becuase i dont think any other case fits this beast... I wonder why they made it so big and bulky considering that mac makes a super powered laptop that weighs practically nothing..... had to give my two cents good thing is im building biceps lugging this monster around lol

The MBP is not superpower in comparison. The most you can get in an MBP is a 2.8ghz i7 and a Nvidia Geforce GT 330M with 512mb RAM. The Alienware can sport an Inter I7-940XM that boosts up to 3.33ghz and dual 1GB ATI cards. That's a power house that I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes but the MBP is not a desktop replacement with like 30 minutes battery life. It actually can be used out and about. That's the different between the two. And yeah this difference makes them target different target audiences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yes but the MBP is not a desktop replacement with like 30 minutes battery life. It actually can be used out and about. That's the different between the two. And yeah this difference makes them target different target audiences.

No one claimed that the Alienware was portable, just that apple makes a laptop that's super powered. And yes, they are marketed to two different groups.

If you want to start an arguement, don't try and argue a point that wasn't brought up and that I agree with. Doesn't work that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You can't say that for the MBP? Really? That's a little foolish, and negative!

Why's it foolish to have an opinion based on experience that trying to render video on a notebook with either a 256mb or 512mb GPU is something that I wouldn't do.

It's not an Apple vs. PC thing at all, it's a performance thing. Would I do video rendering on a Mac Pro? Yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Stating an opinion is perfectly fine, but stating, "I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP," is a bit different. I render hd video on my mbp that isn't even as good as the one you mentioned, but you stated you would be afraid of rendering on it? Care to explain why you would be "afraid?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Stating an opinion is perfectly fine, but stating, "I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP," is a bit different. I render hd video on my mbp that isn't even as good as the one you mentioned, but you stated you would be afraid of rendering on it? Care to explain why you would be "afraid?"

It's an expression. Because it's slow.

Soda
Pop
Cola
Coke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Probably the best selling point for the Macbooks is the light weight/ long battery life in comparison to the other computers out there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
whats the big deal with the weight.. i mean at most your looking at a 1-2 pound difference, do people honestly notice this anywhere besides on the specs page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
As someone previously posted Alienware laptops like the one you got are desktop replacements. They also use desktop hardware not mobile hardware so that would also be why the added weight. They aren't really meant for you to lug around from place to place. Though I'm not gonna lie i'd like to have one to move around some too :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As someone previously posted Alienware laptops like the one you got are desktop replacements. They also use desktop hardware not mobile hardware so that would also be why the added weight. They aren't really meant for you to lug around from place to place. Though I'm not gonna lie i'd like to have one to move around some too :)

They are suppose to be used for LAN party. If those still exist. >_>"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
whats the big deal with the weight.. i mean at most your looking at a 1-2 pound difference, do people honestly notice this anywhere besides on the specs page?

Try carrying a 25lb, fully laden laptop bag on your shoulder for a significant period of time and you'd be overjoyed to get something 7-10lbs lighter. When I switched my Inspiron 8200 out for a comparatively svelte Inspiron 700m, it was about a 7lb difference, which was huge in daily travel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.