I can't sign into my yahoo mail or facebook.

Reaction score
Certain sites I have to log in to will not work on my mac, but I can get into them on my PC. Specifically yahoo mail and facebook. Yahoo keeps asking me to verify my password. I retype the password, and nothing. It just asks me to verify it again. Facebook won't let me in at all. It just erases the login fields altogether. I am running OSX 10.5.8. I have researched the issue a bunch and found similar issues from others. The solution that seemed to work for them was manually changing the MTU setting to 1400. I have tried that for the airport setting, but it keeps defaulting back to configure automatically. 1) I don't even now if this is the actual solution, so can you advise? 2) How do I get the new manual MTU setting to stick? FYI, I have enabled cookies, deleted all the current cookies... basically done everything with cookies I can. I don't think that is the solution.

I am sure there are other sites that wouldn't work, but for now those are the ones I have encountered. I can sign into others I have tried... my bank account, amazon... It's just my email and facebook right now. Any advice?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have you tried using a different browser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If you are using Safari, maybe a reset will be in order.

To do this open Safari then go to "Safari > Reset Safari..."

Clear everything out, (mainly cache). Then try again.

If this is not the case then what browser are you using? You can try the similar process of clearing out the cache in all browsers.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
I
Reaction score
I was on firefox, but just tried safari and the same thing happened. It seems more an issue inherent with the mac itself, not so much a browser issue.

Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I have a solution..

Just in case someone else is having this same problem, I thought I'd share my solution since clearing the caches didn't solve it for me. It turns out that under Safari's preferences, under the security tab, I had it set to never allow cookies. I changed it to only allow cookies from the websites that I visit and that took care of the problem. Before that I couldn't log into facebook, yahoo mail, ANYTHING. After changing the cookies setting my login issues immediately went away. Hope this is helpful to someone else! :)

-Debbie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.