• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Verizon iPhone 5 Will Beat Any Android Handset: 10 Reasons Why

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Interesting read. Definitely written by a fan boy. I find it odd how the writer focuses ONLY on VZW. Seems a bit sketchy to me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That author must have just learned the word "speculation" and tried to see how much they could embody that in their text. I could have written a competing article, fabricated a few things about Android and had an article that is just as credible as it.

Reaction score
I have to agree. Apple is always one step ahead but I have a feeling the new Iphone is going to be 2 steps ahead of any droid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have to agree. Apple is always one step ahead but I have a feeling the new Iphone is going to be 2 steps ahead of any droid.

Uuuch.. stop it already. Apple HAS to be a step or two ahead. Ya know why ?... Because they've actually had a few years in the market! Duh. And yeah, they don't make crap to top it off. So what would you expect. That's a silly thing to say, and considering how well the Android platform is doing, it's easy to see how far they've taken things in such a short amount of time. Especially since they're also walking in a very big shadow in order to do so.

That has to be the WORST written "article" concerning this topic, ever. I can't take it seriously for even one word. The guy makes no compelling arguments, and doesn't actually give any logical reasons as to why the iP5 will beat any Droid handset. Nothing. In fact, this guy has done what looks like zero current research. Most of what he's blabbing about isn't even true. And the rest of it, is just fluff and speculation.

Also, there's really nothing to "beat" here, and that's what this fool doesn't understand. Yes, folks are going to jump ship to get the iPhone w/Verizon, but I suspect that these are the same folks who always wanted an iPhone to begin with. So what? The Android market is ALWAYS going to have its crowd, no matter what. A smaller percentage of those people will even be Mac users (HI).

No one would ever try and knock the iPhone in any of its iterations, because it's a great phone. But There ARE things which it has always either lacked, or isn't meant to take on, and that's also where the Android platform stands in. And for some people, those "things" are enough to keep them away from an iPhone.

Been enjoying blazing fast 4G for a couple of months now, wish I hadn't waited so long. And I love rubbing it in people's faces how much I pay for a family plan with unlimited everything, no call restrictions (any mobile) at any time. VZN or ATT have got nothin' on my network. BOOOYA!

D ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
So the next generation iPhone will outsell dozens of Android models, just like the current model iPhone, and the one before that. Wow, what intuition!!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple has to be leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. Cause if Apple ever made a product just as good at the same price as the competition, would not buy the Apple product. A lot of Apple's sales are simply cause of the fact that the others (who they want to buy from) are not worth their salt. If they ever are worth their salt then Apple might not see so many sales from Apple.

And by worth their salt I mean on par with the Apple products in terms of quality, innovation and price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Apple has to be leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. Cause if Apple ever made a product just as good at the same price as the competition, would not buy the Apple product. A lot of Apple's sales are simply cause of the fact that the others (who they want to buy from) are not worth their salt. If they ever are worth their salt then Apple might not see so many sales from Apple.

And by worth their salt I mean on par with the Apple products in terms of quality, innovation and price.

You do realize that making statements like "leaps and bounds ahead of the competition" is purely subjective thinking, right? Sale numbers don't always = best product. Want proof ? The new 3D Justin Bieber movie is getting something like 85% on Rotten Tomatoes. It will likely rake in huge sales numbers as well. Yet somehow, I sincerely doubt that Bieber or his movie is for everybody out there. Sure ain't for me.

Apple has had nothing but time on their side for the last few years, with ZERO competition. Blackberry ? Haha... Right. Nokia... PFFFT. Windows ?! LerLz. The Android platform is the first one to really give the iPhone a good run and this is a great thing for everybody. If the boys and girls over in Android land weren't doing anything to get Apple's attention, you can be assured that the slow to the market features which the iPhone usually gets, would be slower to get there than usual.

Let's not forget something and be realistic for a moment. Apple tends to take already existing ideas and likes to embellish upon them, make them better (with their own limitations of course, since they have to keep you in the walled garden). The original iPod wasn't the first Mp3 player on the market, and it wasn't even the best sounding or feature packed. But Apple had a lot of marketing leverage and made the product something different because of how the hardware fit so well with its dummy proof software.

This has always been their way. But not everybody wants their food spoon fed to them. I digress. Again, I respect what Apple has done with the iPhone, but it is far from being leaps and bounds better than anything else on the market. I have enough friends and family with them (iPhones) to know that after a short period of time, it bores me to death, and I'm much happier going back to my EVO. I of course realize the crowd I'm speaking to, but you guys should also realize that yours is not the definitive word on what is or isn't the "best". There's plenty of room on the playing field for everybody to play nicely, IMO.

I was thinking about the iPad in this respect, too. And wondering about its ability to let me work how I need to with my photographs, without the use or need of iPhoto, because I won't be using it, for sure. But how else am I to upload, keyword and tag photos on it ? I hope there's something aside from iPhoto because if not, my will to get an iPad will have gone out the window, and I'll be looking to get an Android based tablet instead.

Doug

Reaction score
Doug b, you make some valid points and I agree with you: iOS is not leaps and bounds ahead of Android. In fact, Android is ahead of iOS in many areas. Does the iPhone or iPad have NFC? Nope. It's coming but not yet. Who had mutlitasking first? Right again, Android. I program on both platforms and each has advantages and disadvantages. I prefer development on Android primarily because my Java skills are more advanced than my Objective-C skills but I like both platforms. They are very similar and the competition is good for both of them. My biggest complaint about the smartphone wars are the subjective comments and biased commentary you read on both sides. Most people have no clue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Doug b, you make some valid points and I agree with you: iOS is not leaps and bounds ahead of Android. In fact, Android is ahead of iOS in many areas. Does the iPhone or iPad have NFC? Nope. It's coming but not yet. Who had mutlitasking first? Right again, Android. I program on both platforms and each has advantages and disadvantages. I prefer development on Android primarily because my Java skills are more advanced than my Objective-C skills but I like both platforms. They are very similar and the competition is good for both of them. My biggest complaint about the smartphone wars are the subjective comments and biased commentary you read on both sides. Most people have no clue.

I've had android for a little of a year now, and my latest 4 month-old phone is the EVO 4G.

It is true that Apple is not the first to NFC, as well as multi-tasking. It's also true that Apple isn't the first to just about anything; sometimes they're close to last. Though, Apple is always the first to do it RIGHT. Androids multi-tasking is absolutely TERRIBLE. I have at least 10-15 applications that I constantly have to go into my running programs and end manually because they all just keep randomly opening. That's not just me, that's many people on Android forums that I've been on. Android is the worst multi-tasking I've ever used in my life; I actually fear opening applications because of it.

*opinion starts here* Apple will always be ahead of the competition, not because of doing something first, but because of doing something the right way first. They let their competition throw out the new stuff, see where they can improve(and if it's worth it) and then come out with a product that is better than anyone else.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To doug B, I agree. But by sales I mean sales revenue and not total number of sales. Ie the iphone, low total sales numbers but high sales revenue.

And on the rest of your post I agree too. You don't see the Apple products are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. And cause of this you are thinking of getting the non-Apple alternatives. And that is my point exactly. If the APple products don't do what you want them to or they don't wow you then you'll be looking at the alternatives. And I think Apple is very aware of this.

In my opinion there is 2 ways to play the game.

1. Try to always be ahead of the game. And wow people always with flashy products with the best features. And this will bring in the customers. This is how Apple run.

2. Make a few good products and an ecosystem. And lock people into that ecosystem. So much so that moving away from it costs way more then the next version of the software or hardware is to buy. So in that method you have a captive market you can peddle pretty much anything to and they won't leave cause they are in a way forced to be with you. This is how MS does business.

And I think Google is somewhat in the middle. They want to wow you with products. Sure Honeycomb has some very interesting features. Some I quite like. But they last the hardware partners who implement the software before it's ready and who don't know how to optimise the software for the hardware they make. So in Honeycomb or the next android is very good that's only half the picture. Then you need the hardware partners to wise up and play their part well.

Google can't do the MS things and use the market loyalty strategy (while peddling any old crap) cause they don't have the numbers and trust in enterprise that MS does. This puts Google in a bind. They can fail even if their OS is perfect.

I feel this is why the Nokia CEO wants to be partners with MS. They know the importance of making sure the other half (the one out of the OS or hardware you don't make) doing their job well. And they hope that MS will make a good Windows Mobile OS for the new nokia smart phones. I don't have that level of trust in the Android phones. Not because honeycomb is bad. It's ok I guess. I just don't know if the hardware makers (and mobile carriers) know how to implement the OS properly.

E

EightmanVT

Interesting read. Definitely written by a fan boy. I find it odd how the writer focuses ONLY on VZW. Seems a bit sketchy to me.

Agreed. That 'article' was a complete waste of about 45 seconds. The comments are much more entertaining.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Androids multi-tasking is absolutely TERRIBLE. I have at least 10-15 applications that I constantly have to go into my running programs and end manually because they all just keep randomly opening. That's not just me, that's many people on Android forums that I've been on. Android is the worst multi-tasking I've ever used in my life; I actually fear opening applications because of it.
Really ? I've not read this in the Android forums. And this has certainly never happened to me, either. What programs are these, that keep opening ? Are you running any task killers ? If so, don't. They do more harm than anything. The iPhone still doesn't do real multitasking, so I'm not sure of what you'd be comparing Droid multitasking with. I've no issues with it at all. It works the way it should.

*opinion starts here* Apple will always be ahead of the competition, not because of doing something first, but because of doing something the right way first. They let their competition throw out the new stuff, see where they can improve(and if it's worth it) and then come out with a product that is better than anyone else.
Glad you stated that this was an opinion. ;) Because while I agree with the concept of your statement, I don't agree with the overall outcome. If we were talking about OS X, I'd be with you 100% Thank goodness that we're at least able to use the occasional alternative to things like iPhoto, iTunes... because otherwise, I'd not even share that sentiment. Were OS X as closed a system as iOS is, I'd likely have stuck with Linux. Sorry but, not everything Apple does is gold, despite those things working for them. (iPhoto/iTunes.. two wretched programs IMO)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I am actually one of those strange people who wish that apple did not follow with the Multitasking. not a big fan of it myself.

Just my opinion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This is really just an opinion issue either way. For example, I love iOS and think Android overall is a pretty distant second place in almost every regard. Doug for example thinks Android is the bees knees and iOS stinks. But a lot of that comes down to personal preference, aesthetic sense, and work style.

Some people may think Windows 7 is better than either iOS or Android.

In the end though, people who forget this is an Apple and Mac related forum are going to be sorely disappointed when their preferred OS isn't very well like or defended as Apple's. You need to understand the audience here and expect what you're going to get out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never said that Android was the bees knees or that iOS stinks. I only ever stated that each has their merit, and there really is no "win" or lose. I pointed out the fact that there's still no true multi tasking, and that ones options in terms of running software are limited to what Apple deems "worthy", and that the Android platform is more open in this regard. I also pointed out that each platform has the user base it does for a reason, and that this will likely never change.

I like iOS for the reason that it is simple to get around and there's really not much of a learning curve. I also dislike it for the same reasons, if that makes sense. It is the black and white cookie of computing devices. What you see is what you get. No frills in a way.

With Android however, you can turn that black and white cookie into a holiday treat. Like say... green and white for St. Patties day, pink and white for valentines, etc.. etc.. That can however, be its crutch as well. The non uniformity of it opens its self up to possible quirkiness. Especially given all the crap hardware out there for it. It's like.. .I'd much rather look at a hot chick eating that cookie, then say.. you, Schweb. ;)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I never said that Android was the bees knees or that iOS stinks.

I was just using it as an example.

But in reality you don't need to say it, you pretty much confirm it every time you feel the need to jump into a thread and talk about how much better Android is. ;)

And that's fine, but you need to own up to the fact you do it. :p

I'll own up to the fact I think Android lacks any style, refinement, or consistency. But that's why I have an iPhone.

The point I make about understanding your audience is very valid here.

It's like the people who feel the need to jump into iPhone threads and scream ANTENNAGATE over and over. They just have to be ok with the fact that a majority won't really pay attention to it after awhile. Actually I'm surprised I haven't seen any of them jump into this one yet. Where's james515?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Really ? I've not read this in the Android forums. And this has certainly never happened to me, either. What programs are these, that keep opening ? Are you running any task killers ? If so, don't. They do more harm than anything. The iPhone still doesn't do real multitasking, so I'm not sure of what you'd be comparing Droid multitasking with. I've no issues with it at all. It works the way it should.

My Incredible did it. There's some preinstalled software (in the firmware) like CityID, Skype, the GMail app (which I didn't use as I preferred HTC's mail app) and a few others I can't remember, that auto launch at startup and whenever they feel like it. Kill them off with an app killer and they relaunch on their own schedule. Can't uninstall them either.

Another issue I had with the multitasking was that some programs just never close when you "back" out of them. So, you're constantly going into AppKiller to keep them from sucking up CPU cycles and in turn, battery life.

It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but multitasking on Android just needs a bit more development IMO. It's kind of just "there" because it's inherent in the OS and there are no controls for it because they never bothered to develop them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That article was totally biased BS. It was all speculation in favor of Apple: claiming Apple will get every rumored upgrade and Android will have zero change. Because, you know, Android hasn't changed it at all in the past few years, except for the 110-15 OS upgrades since then.

Also, there was this:

"Most reports suggest Apple will capitalize on that and bring 4G connectivity to the next Verizon iPhone. If that happens, currently scheduled Android 4G handsets won’t have that advantage"

WTH??? Why will an iPhone with 4G connectivity have an advantage over an Android phone with 4G?? Did Verizon build a different, faster 4G network exclusively for iPhone, or is the writer talking out of his rear and not making any sense? An LTE iPhone is only speculation, while there are already several confirmed LTE Android phones that will be out before the next iPhone is even announced!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I'm one of the very few I guess that was sorely disappointed. I set out to prove my brother wrong that Apple was terrible and they're just closed off to everyone and they're just technology Nazis and Google and Microsoft are much more open and they're so much better....

I was sorely mistaken...

I've never had a worse experience with a smart phone than Android. No I do not run task killers. My phone is with my girlfriend while she's getting some mouth-work done so she has something to mess with but I have around 7-10 apps that are constantly running themselves even after i force close them(such as sprint tv, sprint football, paper toss, google maps, android market).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.