• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple working on smaller, $200 contract-free iPhone to combat Android - report

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple working on smaller, $200 contract-free iPhone to combat Android - report
AppleInsider | Apple working on smaller, $200 contract-free iPhone to combat Android - report
Apple is working on a new design and form factor for the iPhone that would allow for a less expensive, contract-free model to take on the competing Google Android platform and bypass wireless carrier contracts, according to Bloomberg.

Now if this was invented I'd so get one. Cause I really don't like carrier plans.

The important parts of this article are:
To the same end, it also said Apple is working on a dual-mode world phone that would be compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks.
But it was also rumored that Apple was forced to abandon those plans after carriers allegedly threatened to stop offering subsidies for the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I love competing rumors!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Aww sounds too good to be true. T_T"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Anyone else see the coincidence between the contract-free iphone at $200 and the iphone's $200 subsidized price with them being threatened with the subsidized phone plan being dropped? Almost seems like Apple wants the iphone's subsides to drop, maybe so they can release it to all companies, while still raking in a lot of money for each phone.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
But is it worth the major carriers dropping the iphone cause of no more lock in contracts? Simply so everyone can have the iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't know that. But we we all know is that the iphone still commands a high price when sold unlocked, or even used. They have already lowered the building price of the cdma iphone. If they continue lowering the build price, as they have done with all the previous iphones, it will mean lower unsubsidized prices.

And frankly, I hate seeing everyone and their little toddler using an iphone. That's just me being honest.

Reaction score
iPhone Nano in the works?

I read today that there the iPhone Nano might become a reality, which is basically a cheaper and smaller version of the iPhone 4, in order to compete with the lower priced and hugely popular Android devices. It is said it will feature dual SIM, but with less advanced and expensive hardware. The device will sell for around US$200. Really, Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If by "really Apple" you're referring to the price, I was reading that $200 will be the UNsubsidized price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I don't see any problem with the logic. I don't see Apple to take a step without analyzing it in every manner possible before actually manufacturing a product.

If it is something Apple makes, then you know it's going to be good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
CodeNamed the N97 ~ Claimed to be half the iPhone size . . .

But im interested in this

MoblieMe is popping its head up again This is a quote from the above article

Under plans Apple is considering, MobileMe would become a free service that would serve as a "locker" for personal memorabilia like photos and videos, so there would no longer be a need for a lot of memory on devices themselves.

Fingers crossedx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If by "really Apple" you're referring to the price, I was reading that $200 will be the UNsubsidized price.
Exactly. That is unsubsidized pricing which means with subsidizes it could be offered for free with a renewed phone contract. It's a good way for Apple to get more iPhone users.

I personally wouldn't want a smaller iPhone because I think the current size is the smallest I would want it to go but it's good to have options for people who do want it. Also the cheaper pricing will be good for anyone who has always wanted an iPhone but couldn't get one because of the pricing.

If it's true I think it's a smart move for Apple since I know quite a bit of people who switched over to Mac computers because they loved their iPhone.

C

chas_m

A device that's half the size of the iPhone might be CALLED an iPhone, but would in fact be an entirely new model (as with the sometimes-quite-radical redesigns of the iMac).

My wife I think is the target market for such a device, and yes she would buy one in a second.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
People are guessing it would be called an iPhone Nano just like all the variety of iPods. It would definitely be in it's own category and not a replacement for the current iPhone. At least I hope not because I wouldn't buy a smaller iPhone.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Seems interesting but I think I would loose my iPhone if it was any smaller. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
And frankly, I hate seeing everyone and their little toddler using an iphone. That's just me being honest.

Thank you for your honesty, but its a lame attitude all the same. Probably the most despicable aspect of macfanboyism.

I would love an more affordable/smaller iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I just can't imagine that an iPhone mini form factor would at all be comfortable let alone trying to use an onscreen keyboard, etc.

Who knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
Let say:
1 Take of the top and bottom (no screen area) of an iphone.
2 Without the hardware home button.
3 Use the resolution of the iphone 3
4 Can buy one with one year contract, with under € 20 monthly payment.

I think it would be a big hit.
Perhaps people have to get used to Apple being a mainsteam player, rather than an niche player :)

@schweb: perhaps keyboard only in horizontal mode?

Point 4 is the biggest problem for me. A 3GS still has a € 32,50 monthly payments here, same as iPhone 4, which make no sense to me. (3GS = €140,00 and 4 = €240,00)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Perhaps people have to get used to Apple being a mainsteam player, rather than an niche player :)

They've been a mainstream player since the iPod.

The iPod, iPhone, iPad have all been mainstream hits. Their computers are quickly catching up, and I believe they are the largest (or near there last time I saw some numbers) portable computer maker.

So "niche player" hasn't really fit Apple since around the turn of the millennium. Just saying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.