• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple working on smaller, $200 contract-free iPhone to combat Android - report

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
**merged duplicate thread**

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd be interested in seeing a lower cost, less functional option. I may be a bit off the norm in that my list of phone needs is fairly short:

1) Phone - most important; expendable antenna if possible (form follows function)
2) Address Book - simpler the better; no photos, just name, address and contact info
3) Calendar - alarm, Exchange support
4) Email - push notifications, Exchange support
5) Internet/Weather/News - a browser is fine, weather and RSS reader would be plenty

Apps, games, social networking, ring tones, music, video, camera, office suite, TV remote, etc... are so far down, it would take me a month before I realized they were not on the phone. I think the only way an on screen keyboard would likely work would be in landscape mode. That's fine, as this sounds more like a data access device than a content creation device. Anyhow, who knows. Apple always has some new spin on things and the iPhone (while a trend setter) is losing a bit of it's WOW factor. Competitors have diluted it's uniqueness, and while it's best in class, that class is getting crowded and stale IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
They've been a mainstream player since the iPod.

The iPod, iPhone, iPad have all been mainstream hits. Their computers are quickly catching up, and I believe they are the largest (or near there last time I saw some numbers) portable computer maker.

So "niche player" hasn't really fit Apple since around the turn of the millennium. Just saying.

I agree if you go by your definition. I meant niche in the sense of the more expensive segment. Than again niche is a bit of an understatement.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think this is much ado about nothing. Right now, the 3GS is available on AT&T for $49, fully subsidized. My guess is that they're just looking to replace the 3GS with a stripped down version of the 4 that can be sold subsidized at the $49 mark, or perhaps even free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
I think this is much ado about nothing. Right now, the 3GS is available on AT&T for $49, fully subsidized. My guess is that they're just looking to replace the 3GS with a stripped down version of the 4 that can be sold subsidized at the $49 mark, or perhaps even free.

I see you can get a 3GS for $49,00. What will be the minimum montly cost in the US?
In my country they are selling it at €140,00 and montly 32,50 for a 2 year contract :(

I understand in the US the 3GS is a good alternative, but here it is still too expensive. That why a lower priced smaller iPhone would make sense to me.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think Apple is realising they are a popular phone company. But there is a lot of phone users (myself included) who do not need a smart phone. Just email, sms with onscreen keyboard and maybe address book/calendar is all they need. And these people don't want to pay a premium for services they will rarely if ever use.

And if it's successful this is very possible, it'll be a major kick in the pants to all those phone companies who make their living from masses of dumb phones.

And there is 2 articles.

Smaller iPhone to Eliminate Storage, Rely on Cloud-Based Content?

Small iPhone to Have Edge to Edge Screen, Voice Navigation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd

But for people like me who don't want or need a contract, this would be great. I run the GoPhone $2/day plan and rarely go over $10 a month. A 3GS with a minimum $40 a month plus $15 data. Yeah, I have data on my iPad, and I'd rather have it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I was thinking just the opposite direction the other day. The current iPhone 4 is as small as it should get (IMHO). I'd like to see a slightly larger iPhone 5. Smaller would just be clumsy to use and silly-looking. I guess it might be ok for your kid's first phone if you want them to have a semi-affordable feature-rich semi-smartphone. I dunno...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see you can get a 3GS for $49,00. What will be the minimum montly cost in the US?

It varies depending on features, number of minutes, etc. But generally, you can expect to pay roughly $50 for voice, $15-30 for data, for a total of about $80/month.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think Apple is realising they are a popular phone company. But there is a lot of phone users (myself included) who do not need a smart phone. Just email, sms with onscreen keyboard and maybe address book/calendar is all they need. And these people don't want to pay a premium for services they will rarely if ever use.

And if it's successful this is very possible, it'll be a major kick in the pants to all those phone companies who make their living from masses of dumb phones.

And there is 2 articles.

I do believe there is a market for low-end devices like that. I just don't buy that Apple would want to dip their toes into it. It's just not in their DNA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I do think that Apple's iPhone name should become a lineup of phones...like the iPhone, then the iPhone nano, and Mini(similar to what people call a "dumb phone"). And, as for it being contract free, it also means that you don't have to have a data plan to use it. I do believe it will work out in Apple's favor, if they do it right, but they have to nail this perfectly, or everything will be ruined.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
It varies depending on features, number of minutes, etc. But generally, you can expect to pay roughly $50 for voice, $15-30 for data, for a total of about $80/month.

Wow $80 and I thought the monthly charge was high over here, thats very pricey. Is €80 every month something a normal family guy can afford in the states?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Wow $80 and I thought the monthly charge was high over here, thats very pricey. Is €80 every month something a normal family guy can afford in the states?

You can also get it in a family plan, which bring the price down to a minimum of $39.98(before tax) a month...but you also need to have another phone plan on the same plan.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Keep in mind that $80 is roughly $60 Euros. Hard to make a generalization as to what a "normal" family can afford. It depends on your priorities, I suppose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.