Macbook 13" connecting to a 20" Cinema Display

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please excuse my naivety here - I'm quite new to all things apple...

As the title suggests, I've got a 13" Macbook. I have just taken on some freelance work which will mean I need a bigger screen, so I went steaming ahead and bought a 20" cinema display from eBay.

Not my greatest move ever as the previous owner is using the power cable (I think) to power from his current computer after upgrading the graphics card.

So, in short, please could you advise which cables/connectors I will need to make this screen work with my Macbook? I will need to buy everything, but just not sure what I'll need as it would seem that there are different cables for different generation of machines and I have NO idea!

My Macbook was purchased new from apple in 2008.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I really want to be able to use this asap to help me earn my living.

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Need more specific info on both your MacBook & the 20" display. Various ports, cables, and connectors have been used...so it's tough to know what to recommend.

It would help if you posted photos of the ports on your MacBook & the cabling for the display...or find photos off the internet (and link them here) that represent what you have.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

thanks for replying so quickly, just waiting for the phone to get enough charge to come back on again before I take photos of the ports on the laptop - but it has a network port, what I'm assuming is a mini DVI, a firewire port, 2 x USB and the usual mic/headphones socket on the left hand side of the keyboard (on the side of the machine), and the screen looks just like this one:

Cinemadisplay.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick,

thanks for replying so quickly, just waiting for the phone to get enough charge to come back on again before I take photos of the ports on the laptop - but it has a network port, what I'm assuming is a mini DVI, a firewire port, 2 x USB and the usual mic/headphones socket on the left hand side of the keyboard (on the side of the machine), and the screen looks just like this one:

Cinemadisplay.jpg

I don't need any more info. I was afraid that was the type of monitor you purchased. It has a "unique" single cable called an "ADC" connector. It was something that Apple tried about 5-8 years ago. As you may know...most monitors have two cables...a video cable & a power cable. This "ADC" cable does both.

To make a a long story short...forget about trying to use this monitor with your MacBook. It's really not practically possible to try to adapt this monitor to work with your MacBook. It would cost you more than it would cost to purchase a brand new "modern" 22" monitor.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,:) hopefully you didn't pay too much or it,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

Thanks for confirming that for me - I've not actually picked up the screen yet so there's a chance I can back out of the sale - I'll offer to cover relisting fees of course.

So I'd be better off with the new silver style screen then? Guess I need to be saving some more pennies....

Although it's bad news, I'd rather I found out now before I drove 100 or so miles to collect it and part with my hard earned when I don't have too much to spare at the moment.

Cheers again!
Kylie.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick,

Thanks for confirming that for me - I've not actually picked up the screen yet so there's a chance I can back out of the sale - I'll offer to cover relisting fees of course.

So I'd be better off with the new silver style screen then? Guess I need to be saving some more pennies....

Although it's bad news, I'd rather I found out now before I drove 100 or so miles to collect it and part with my hard earned when I don't have too much to spare at the moment.

WOW...awesome that you didn't get the monitor yet...especially since it sounds like you need to drive a long way to pick it up.

Regarding another monitor. I'm sure you must know that you don't have to use an Apple external display. Yes they are expensive & yes they are great quality...but unless you REALLY NEED an Apple display...you could get a Dell, Acer, HP, Viewsonic, etc. 22" or 24" display for less than half the price of the Aluminum Apple display.

Just something to consider...good luck,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
WOW...awesome that you didn't get the monitor yet...especially since it sounds like you need to drive a long way to pick it up.

Regarding another monitor. I'm sure you must know that you don't have to use an Apple external display. Yes they are expensive & yes they are great quality...but unless you REALLY NEED an Apple display...you could get a Dell, Acer, HP, Viewsonic, etc. 22" or 24" display for less than half the price of the Aluminum Apple display.

Just something to consider...good luck,

- Nick

Thanks - you've been REALLY helpful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Just as an example, I have a 23" Acer display connected to my MacBook Air and it's beautiful - after I did manual color correction in the Display preferences. Before that, the colors were blown way out - horrible looking. Bear that in mind when testing new displays - take the computer with you, connect it to a demo if they will allow it, and calibrate the color. Just because it looks bad when first connected doesn't mean it can't look great calibrated properly. Oh... and the Acer display (V233H) was about $150.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi again all :)

Managed to get myself a nice HP 21" widescreen monitor in the end - it's lovely and did the job for £120 and just the adaptor cable.

Now the dilemma I have is this. I am finding myself using my macbook all day at work. They happen to have a nice cinema display - I think it's 24", which is going to waste. I have been told that if I can work out what cables I need, they will buy them so that I can use it with my macbook.

Here are photos of the cable ends on the monitor, and a photo of the port on the macbook - can you tell me if it's possible to find a connector to make these talk to each other?

87ce77b2.jpg

e7cc6858.jpg

0959386d.jpg

Thanks for all of your help!

OP
S
Reaction score
eeek just seen how dirty my macbook is..... I think it's time for some warm soapy water and some cottonbuds to come out!

OP
S
Reaction score
Anyone at all? Or am I going to have to pay a trip to Apple?

OP
S
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that can help? I'm miles away from an apple store now and I need to order the cables or my eyes are going to go square!

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that can help? I'm miles away from an apple store now and I need to order the cables or my eyes are going to go square!

I have been through a similar exercise to you but with the latest 2011 macbook pro 15".

Is this the macbook you have?

MacBook (13-inch) through MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009): External ports and connectors

With this port?

Mini-DVI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If so, then you need to purchase a a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

This is the Apple one...

Apple Mini DVI to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (UK)

The large cable plug of the 3 you are holding in you hand is the DVI -D from the monitor. It should be plugged into the female DVI-D socket in the Apple adapter with the smaller end going into your macboook.

I purchased mine from NEET cables (I am in the UK also), but I cannot see it on their site for the earlier models. A search for the adapter brings up the options should you wish to go elsewhere.

Google

A further search brings up this adapter..

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=ioP_Te_UL8iDhQf93MWaCw&sqi=2&ved=0CFAQ8wIwAA

It is worthy of consideration because you can not only run another monitor off it at the same time (so they say), but it gives you an option later using an HDMI cable to use a later standard monitor that uses the latest HDMI input.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - I appreciate your insight!

I have the early 2008 black macbook. The DVI port is a little bit different to that.

I bought a cable when I bought my home monitor, but it is a VGA to DVI (if that's what the socket is on my macbook).

I think I'm going to have to go to the mac store to buy one just to be on the safe side - or at least for them to tell me exactly what it is that I need.

Reaction score
I have the early 2008 black macbook. The DVI port is a little bit different to that.

Read this again....

MacBook (13-inch) through MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009): External ports and connectors

It refers to your macbook does it not?

Products Affected

MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook (13-inch Late 2006), MacBook (13-inch, Early 2008), MacBook (13-inch, Late 2008), MacBook (13-inch), MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007), MacBook (13-inch, Early 2009)

Look carefully, the photo of the ports you are showing includes this one......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DVI

that is the socket end of the cable I am recommending here.....

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M...EA-AFF&tduid=a40d05459829fa285417fed35fa2a9a4

The other end of the cable is DVI-D that fits the cable in your photo.

You can send for it and get it for tomorrow morning. You are covered by the UK distance selling regulations if it is not the correct one and can return it without any argument in consumer law. I am 99% sure it is the correct one though!

PS 1. I was a system builder and up grader for many years, although I am a little light on knowledge on macs, I usually research to the point where I am confident enough to purchase for myself. In fact because you are in the UK and live not far from me, I spent an hour last night researching before posting the information. I live in Oxford.

PS 2. Send me a PM with telephone number and I can assist.

Here is a link to the version of the macbook I think you have....

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp5

Connections and expansion

MagSafe power port
Gigabit Ethernet port
Mini-DVI port
FireWire 400 port (up to 400 Mbps)
Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Audio line in
Audio line out
Kensington cable lock slot

OP
S
Reaction score
I have to apologise - I'm not feeling quite on the ball today and it's not the first time I've not read something properly or in it's entirety this morning, so I'm sorry - you would appear to have it spot on!

Will get the cable ordered asap :)

Thanks very much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.