Keyboard stops working

Reaction score
All,

I am having a problem with my iMac keyboard stopping working sporadically. It seems to happen most when I let the machine go to Sleep, but it is not constrained to those times alone. My son has had problems while playing video games as well. The mouse has occasionally had the same problem, but with much less regularity. I have been unable to recreate the problem by intentionally putting the iMac to sleep or using the upper left corner of the screen.

In order to fix the problem I only have to unplug and then replug the keyboard back into a USB port on the back of the iMac. I have used each of the different USB ports and have experienced the same results. I have also tried SMC Resets and PRAM Resets.

Below are my iMac details, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

iMac 2.4 GHzIntel Core 2 Duo with Mac OS X version 10.6.6 (I have also run the software update)
Using the standard white Apple USB Keyboard that came with the machine

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I suggest is to use a different keyboard to see if the same problem occurs. You can use any USB keyboard, it does not have to be one made by Apple. This simple test will tell you if it's a hardware or software problem.

OP
I
Reaction score
I will find another keyboard to try, however, since it is happening with my mouse too, it seems unlikely that they would both stop working at the same time...

Thanks for the input though, I will post my results!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are you by chance using a keyboard extension cable, and if so is it a genuine Mac cable? How old is the iMac as there are many reports of keyboards being rep[laced by Apple. Do a Google.

OP
I
Reaction score
No, I am not using an extension cable. The iMac is almost 3 years old now. I have done many Google searches trying to find an answer to this problem and haven't found anything about Apple replacing keyboards, but I will take a look specifically for a keyboard recall.

I just found a different Apple keyboard and will be giving that one a try.

Thanks for the post!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In order to fix the problem I only have to unplug and then replug the keyboard back into a USB port on the back of the iMac. I

That happens from time to time with my mouse. Once in awhile, my monitor won't wake up, so I turn it off for a minute and then it comes back. I'll start to panic if those solutions don't work in the future.

Have you tried a different USB port?

OP
I
Reaction score
Problem solved?

That happens from time to time with my mouse. Once in awhile, my monitor won't wake up, so I turn it off for a minute and then it comes back. I'll start to panic if those solutions don't work in the future.

Have you tried a different USB port?

Yes, the problem was happening in all three USB ports.

Thanks chscag, the new keyboard does seem to have fixed the problem. I haven't had a problem with the keyboard not responding anymore. I still don't understand what was causing the other keyboard to fail and then be fixed when I replugged it in...strange, but as long as it is good to go now, I am happy!

Thanks all!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear a new keyboard solved the problem. Have fun and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.