G5 Reset

Reaction score
I just found this site and it looks pretty neat. I have a question for the guru's out there. I am selling my G5 and purchasing a MBP. How would a guy go about scrubbing the HD clean. I have removed all the files I need and would like to have a fresh start for the new owner, and not have to worry if I forgot to remove a few things. Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Boot from an OS install DVD...open Disk Utility...and use the "secure erase" feature. You probably only need the single pass feature. When finished...reinstall the OS on the HD.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Or leave the machine blank after doing what Nick has advised, and forward the install DVD and let the new owner do his own installing and setting up. Great way to learn.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another solution is sell the G5 without a hard drive installed. I personally don't like this...but many folks do it.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I might just have to go with the hard drive removal. I bought this G5 from a reseller of used lease returns. I do not have the DVD for the OS. Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is your only option if you do not have the install DVD. Be aware many buyers will shy off a computer without a hard drive and it will depreciate the sale price. Might be worth getting a copy of Tiger retail install DVD and wiping and then zeroing the drive with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.