Restoring iMac to factory settings.

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently got given a iMac from a close friend.
Didn't come with any CD's as he misplaced them.

The reason i am here i have heard through mates at work that there is a console code i can use to restore everything back to factory settings without losing and iApps.

Can someone please post the code for me, or point me into the direction of where to get it?

I don't want to purchase new CD's at the moment as im tight for cash.

Thanks in advanced.

:)

C

chas_m

I'm not aware of any such code, but I've only been working with Macs since 1986.

Save up, buy Snow Leopard ($30) and the individual iLife apps you want off the Mac app store (about $10 each). There. Done.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum and title edited for clarity.

Reaction score
chas_m said:
I'm not aware of any such code, but I've only been working with Macs since 1986.

:D:D:D:D:D:D Nice! Maybe he has been working on them so long that he just forgot the mac magic code! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The magic code is called a system disc. Go and purchase one.

Reaction score
The reason i am here i have heard through mates at work that there is a console code i can use to restore everything back to factory settings without losing and iApps.

Hello, and Welcome!

I'm not sure that I understand what you want to accomplish. If what you want to do is install a complete and fresh copy of the Mac operating system, there is no "code" that you can use to do that. For that you will need a set of system disks. Fortunately, for OS X 10.6 (the most recent version of the Mac OS), they aren't terribly expensive:

Macintosh OS X 10.6
$29
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

However, if you are asking for a way to make sure that the current installation of your system software is in good repair, and/or repair it if it is not functioning perfectly, there *is* a code of sorts that you can use to accomplish that. It is called "FSCK" (short for File System Check) and here are Apple's directions for running it:
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

I hope that answers your question.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.