Gaming on Windows Vista 64bit through Boot Camp

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post so first let me apologise if this has already been answered, and please let me know if I've posted this in the wrong category, I'll delete and re-post elsewhere - not very good with this sort of thing.

Recently bought an iMac 21.5" 3.6 i5 1tb with ATI Radeon 5670 mainly for casual gaming purposes. First thing I did was install windows 64bit through Boot Camp and installed Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Using native screen res 1980x1020, even on the 'low' graphics preset, the cross-hair was a good second behind the mouse (i.e. jolting the mouse to the right would result in a laggy rotation of my character about a second later). I decreased to 1280x720 and set graphics to high, then middle, then finally back to 'low' before achieving a smooth gaming experience.

According to CanIRunIt.com, my system should be able to easily play Battlefield top spec, so I downloaded DriverDetector and fully updated all my drivers, paying special attention to the graphics drivers and I can now almost-smoothly run it using the low graphics preset on 1980x1020, however 'middle' is a little laggy and 'high' is, again, unplayable.

N.B. all this is during single player campaign mode.

According to my Windows Experience Rating, my system is rated 5.9 (highest possible) in all areas except for Gaming Graphics which has a still-impressive 5.7 rating...

I've tried using an Apple Magic Mouse, a USB wired mouse and a USB wireless mouse with no difference.

Any advice on how to fix this so that it will run smoothly on at least middle spec would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I assume you are talking windows 7 here - you didn't specify which version you were describing. You also didn't mention what version of OSX you were using, although if you just bought your Mac it is likely the latest version. To make sure that you have all the latest drivers, if you haven't done so already, install your Snow Leopard install disc while running Windows to install the latest versions. Similarly, go to the Apple support site/downloads and download and install the latest version of Boot Camp (3.2 I believe) which is optimized for Windows 7. Again, this is done from within Windows.

Apple has specific driver versions for its hardware in some cases and the manufacturer versions may not work perfectly. In any case, I would do those two things and see if they help. Your Mac should work exactly like a PC with the same hardware.

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
I assume you are talking windows 7 here - you didn't specify which version you were describing. You also didn't mention what version of OSX you were using, although if you just bought your Mac it is likely the latest version. To make sure that you have all the latest drivers, if you haven't done so already, install your Snow Leopard install disc while running Windows to install the latest versions

Thanks for the advice. I am using Windows Vista 64bit, however I plan to upgrade to Win 7 soon. It is the latest OSX, or at least I assume it is..bought the system a week ago. I installed the Snow Leopard disc while running windows as Boot Camp Assistant instructed me too, will have a look for Apple's drivers too, though.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Use Windows Update as well to download any more necessary drivers to run it.

- Simon

Reaction score
Vista 64

Last I saw from apple they only support Win 7 64, the xp and vista 64 versions are not officially supported, and will probably run into more issues than the Win 7 version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.