iMac sound is muffled.

Reaction score
I recently had a small issue with my new Profire 610 audio interface, so I had to disconnect it and send it back for exchange. After that, I plugged in my old interface, Fasttrack usb, to find that all of the sound that was coming out of my computer was muffled, as is the bass was up way too high.

Then I unplugged the interface to find that no matter how the audio is coming out of my computer, it is all muffled, like something is not set right. My itunes equalizer is off, plus, this is happening through all audio: youtube, itunes, quicktime, etc.

I uninstalled the Profire driver, checked sound settings under system preferences, and still nothing.

Any idea at all what the problem might be?

Any help would be soooooooo appreciated! ;D

edit: (the start up chime is not muffled)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's try to reset the PRAM NVRAM first. That usually clears up confused system sounds. If that doesn't work, you may have a hardware problem. Post back results.

OP
N
Reaction score
So I figured out the problem. I have this global eq program for mac called "Hear." It doesnt affect my audio unless it is open, but for some reason, it was active even though it wasnt open. I opened it up just to give it a shot and heard the sound go back to normal when i changed the eq settings. Wow, awesome. lol

Thanks for your help anyway i definitely appreciate it!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Thanks for posting back the fix. Have fun and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.