Mac / PC Keyboard differences

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just joined the forum and currently awaiting my Mac mini (approx 2 weeks to go) so that I can use the SDK to create some iphone/ipad apps.
Just a little on my desk setup: I am running a Windows desktop and soon to be Mini Mac via a KVM switch onto an HP 23 inch monitor. Obviously this means using my existing mouse and keyboard.
I apologise if it IS somewhere on the thread, but I promise I did search for the answer!
I have read there are differences between Mac & PC and I understand the windows key /command key etc but am I right in thinking there are keys that respond in completely different manner?
I refer to the '@' symbol and " (quote marks) ?
I would like to use one keyboard and to be honest don't mind if I need to buy a new keyboard (open to recommendations), but want to know that the key I press is the key that will be used irrespective of whether I am on Windows desktop or Mac desktop.
Great forum!

Daz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums Daz,

As for the @ and " all that is different is that they are the other way around. So when you try to get the @ symbol it is actually the " symbol and vice-versa.

Another difference is for example when you want to copy and paste, in windows you do a ctrl+c then ctrl+v , on the mac keyboard it is cmd+c then cmd+v not too sure how this will work on a "windows" keyboard but the best thing to do is to play around with it until you get used to the changes and you know where the combinations are.

You could of course get a mac keyboard for the mini, a wired one isn't too much really at around $49.00 in the US or £40 in the UK

But see how you get on first and then think whether you need an actual Apple keyboard or not.

Hope this helps a little.

- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But see how you get on first and then think whether you need an actual Apple keyboard or not.

This is what I was thinking as well.:)

@Daz Fisher...Just plug in your current Windows computer keyboard...and see how things go. If you notice too many "issues"...then purchase a "Mac" keyboard. In addition to Apple keyboards...there are many 3rd party keyboards that will work...and can save you some money if that's a concern.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for speedy reply Simon.
I must admit the apple keyboard (and magic mouse for that matter) do look cool but I would still need to keep my Logitech MX518 gaming mouse as I play CoD Black Ops online and obviously have access to multi buttons.

Perhaps you would not mind If I ask another question on Time Machine?

I intend getting a 500GB external usb HDD and backup onto this. It will be mostly for storage of my photos which I will be transferring from my Windows system. Any recommendations or more importantly ones to avoid that are not compatible with Mac's Time Machine program?

thanks,

Daz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There really isn't many if any HDD that are not compatible with Time Machine at all. Personal preference is Western Digital or "WD".
Just make sure you format the HDD in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and you should not have any issues.

Hope this helps

P.S I don't mind the questions at all, after all it's what we are here for. :)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Buzzard are you using the PC keyboard now? Why I ask is that I am using a Logitech Cordless Keyboard for the PC on my mini. @ key is above the 2, " key is beside the enter key and I don't need to remember any difference. In fact I never knew or heard there was other than the copy/paste. I have a mac keyboard (broken) and all keys other than the cmd/opt keys are the same as the pc.

For Copy or paste on the bottom left use the windows key (cmd). Option key is the alt key. If you wish to change things around tho, there is freeware on the net. All said, they are just minor adjustment to habit.

Here also is a page that might help PC Keyboard on a Mac
Welcome to Mac-Forums Daz,

As for the @ and " all that is different is that they are the other way around. So when you try to get the @ symbol it is actually the " symbol and vice-versa.

Another difference is for example when you want to copy and paste, in windows you do a ctrl+c then ctrl+v , on the mac keyboard it is cmd+c then cmd+v not too sure how this will work on a "windows" keyboard but the best thing to do is to play around with it until you get used to the changes and you know where the combinations are.

You could of course get a mac keyboard for the mini, a wired one isn't too much really at around $49.00 in the US or £40 in the UK

Hope this helps a little.

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.