Is my 07 macbookpro worth fixing!!!!

Reaction score
hi there, This is my first post ön any forum. It seems my late 2007 macbookpro is dying on me, i seem to be having multiple failures and wanted some advice on fixes i could try, cost of repairs etc....

list of failures:-

1. If i unplug the power adaptor.. 9 out 10 times my mac shuts down ..instantly. Thought it was a battery issue.. took it to a mac shop swapped bat... still no good. Was then told my logic board had gone they wanted £400 to fix it.(new one) Havent got this done ... is there a cheaper fix?? is it possible to buy and fix myself??

2. i use a 2nd monitor, large hd tv.... now that doesnt seem to be working, the tv has no input whatsoever. Have tried another pc and its not the tv at fault.... its the mac again!!

3. Last problem, but probably the biggest, recently my DVD drive has just packed up.... Discs and CD's go in, it crunches, clicks... makes a lot of niose then just spits them out again. It is trying but to no avail. on any disc!!!
Is ther any tips or tricks to try? maybe a clean? Or is it a new drive?? And can this be done on the cheap???

I know this is alot of questions but i appreciate any advise on any of these matters...... been thinkin of getting a windows PC, so if you can help... i wont!!

Thanks in advance!!
mark

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If your logic board is bad (as the Mac Shop you took it to suggested)...this would probably be enough to say that it's probably not worth fixing. Then add problems 2 & 3...and now you have three problems...making repair of this MBP financially not worth it.

Problem #3 is NOT the biggest problem. A busted DVD drive is no where near as bad as a bad logic board (if the logic board truly is bad).

As far as repairing the logic board...I doubt it. It's a pretty complex thing to do. You certainly could try to find a used logic board...and replace it yourself. But finding a good used one is not easy...and may not even save you much money over a new one.

As far as getting a Windows computer. If you feel this is what you got to do...then do it.:) We're not here to convince anyone to stay "Mac" if they don't want to. But since you have been a "Mac User"...I assume you like the Mac OS...and thus going to Windows will be different.

Good luck deciding,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your troubles!

Just did a quick Google search on logic boards for a 2007 Macbook Pro… They don't seem to be cheap :\ Actually, a couple that popped up for sale, were even marked very near £400. So it seems like that's not an unreasonable price for repair, sadly they are an expensive fix. But it is completely possible to buy and fix yourself, depending on your skill set :)

I don't use external monitors, so I don't know much about it. But I suppose it's possible that your external monitor trouble and the disc drive problems could be related to the logic board? I'm not sure of any tricks or tips as far as making them work, but perhaps someone here will be able to help :)

Like pig said, we can't convince to to stay with your Mac. But you might do a little more investigating. Even though it might end up being a pricy fix, it's possible that the fix could still be cheaper than a new Windows PC :)

Best of luck and I hope someone here pops up with a cheaper way to do things for you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pig? Pig? I think he much prefers Nick clockwork!

You would like a new model just go ahead and purchase, and then see what you can get for the MB selling it for parts on eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Before you purchase a new unit, consider Apple's depot repair service. If the computer doesn't have any case damage, you can have Apple repair it under their flat rate program for around $310 plus tax. Case damage would increase that price substantially, as much as $1200, since the optical drive's involved. But, if the case is in good shape and there's no liquid damage, $310 might be worth getting everything fixed at one time. Turn around time is usually a week or so.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yeah, but Pig is short for Pigoo, so easily done, right porky?

To the OP, though that flat rate is decent, I still think that with the extra issues, it really is beyond economical repair to be fair.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
buy a new one, take the old one apart, sell the RAM and Hard drive. youll get a bit of money back. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.