No disk drive, how to re-boot?

Reaction score
I need to do my annual re-boot of my macbook pro, but the disk drive has been busted for a while now, how do i wipe it and re-boot original OS?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I need to do my annual re-boot of my macbook pro, but the disk drive has been busted for a while now, how do i wipe it and re-boot original OS?

Annual "re-boot"???...confusing. I think (reading your post)...you mean "annual reinstall of the OS".

Of course...this is NOT a necessary "annual" thing to do. But also (of course) it is your computer...so you can do whatever you want.:)

Regarding your question about the optical drive...well you could either replace the internal CD/DVD drive...or purchase an external drive like this:

OWC Value Line USB2.0/1.1 22X Super-MultiD... (VLU2SD22XLS) at OWC

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I am sure there are ways to do this via FireWire target disk mode or something else, but it might get a little squirrelly. It definitely would not be a bad idea to get the CD/DVD drive replaced either way...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.