iPads have terrible wifi connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have two iPads that have similar issues. One is a 3G that doesn't have a 3G subscription (yeah, I know...) and the other is a wifi.

Both of them will generally not be connected to the network when woken from sleep and take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute to recognize. Both of them also experience issues where it'll show that they're connected via the wifi symbol, but they'll obviously lose connection for 30 seconds to a minute before being able to access the internet again.

Has anyone experienced issues like this? The router is a Belkin N+ with the newest firmware. Updating the firmware did not fix the issue. Two things to note are that I live in a townhouse, so there's several other visible networks that show and generally there's 3-4 devices connected at anyone time, sometime up to 11-12. That's an extreme though.

That's:
Server - wired
Desktop - wired
Notebook 1 - wireless
Notebook 2 - wireless
PS3 - wired
iPad 1
iPad 2
Phone 1
Phone 2
Phone 3
Phone 4

But regardless, of if it's a weekend when the roommates are all there or not, the iPads always act like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I have a similar number of devices and I have not seen any issues with the three iPad's I have connected to my AirPort Extreme. I would say your problem is the Belkin or the other networks. I would try a new router first...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have a D-Link DIR-628 router and have a Dell desktop wired, Wii wireless, 2 iPhone 4s wireless, MBP wireless, and iPad wireless. If anything, I'd say the iPad is the fastest to open Safari and begin browsing.
So, I agree it must be your router or something in your network that's affecting it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My iPad is basically almost instantaneous connecting to either of my 2 networks at home and another at the office.

Using a D-Link DIR-655, a 1st gen Time Capsule, and some Linksys at the office.
Have up to 6 devices that could be connected via wifi at any given time and 7 via ethernet.

I don't believe I've experimented with the network connection on it while another device or two is downloading a large file, though I expect that could have some affect,

Have you tried changing the channel the Belkin is using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
I had a Belkin router and thought my iPad wifi was awful. Then the Ethernet part died and I bought a D-Link. Not a single problem since. My iPad connects faster than the 4 PCs and the iPod Touch and will stay connected in crappier situations. The iMac doesn't count because it has an Ethernet connection...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I had a Belkin N+ router and my iPad and my iMac would continually lose connection to the network. The only way to restore it was to turn off Airport on each device and then turn it back on. If the device was idle for about 10 min., the connection would drop again. It never happened with my wireless printer or the Windows machine I have. I tried changing the wireless channel and everything, but it never solved the issue. I recently bought an Airport Extreme router, and have yet to drop the connection on my iPad or my iMac. My thought are that it is the Belkin Router and not the iPad.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
That's what it sounds like, but I have a remote desktop connection setup with the Windows Home Server, which I remember reading that the Airport router doesn't work with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I am not sure why the AirPort wouldn't work if you opened the correct ports?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Like Bobtomay says check/change your wifi channel. Try iStumbler to show which are the least crowded channels near you.

Also worth trying on someone elses router. Preferably not a Belkin.
It's easy to say it's the router but of those I've owned and of the many home users I support I've had more poor experiences with Belkin routers than good.

E

EightmanVT

Just out of curiosity are you running the latest version of IOS? I only ask - because when I first got my iPad (right after they launched) - it definitely had issues connecting - and maintaining the password for the wireless router. Subsequent updates to IOS have fixed this.

You have a lot of interference in that townhouse - which could be causing an issue. If you want to test on another router easily - just go to your nearest Starbucks and see if you see the same symptom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have had great luck with the Airport Extreme feeding the MBP,iPad,iPhone and the Blu-Ray also when my friends bring their Acer and Dell over everything connects.

Reaction score
I had a Belkin N+ router and my iPad and my iMac would continually lose connection to the network. The only way to restore it was to turn off Airport on each device and then turn it back on. If the device was idle for about 10 min., the connection would drop again. It never happened with my wireless printer or the Windows machine I have. I tried changing the wireless channel and everything, but it never solved the issue. I recently bought an Airport Extreme router, and have yet to drop the connection on my iPad or my iMac. My thought are that it is the Belkin Router and not the iPad.

Wow. I also have a Belkin N+ and my experience is almost identical to yours. My imac and wireless printer never lose their wireless connection, but my wife's macbook and my ipod touch drop frequently. Many times I have to reboot the router to make it work. Royal PITA. I may have to try another router and see if my problems go away.

Why would some wireless devices have no problem and others have extreme problems?

Also, does it seem that Apple devices have more wireless problems than PC's? There are many threads in various apple forums on the subject of dropped wireless, but I never remember seeing that back when I was a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'll have to say I agree about the poor WiFi in the iPad. It's pretty flaky, I've had it drop connections where it shouldn't. Or I've seen it have lower signal strength when other devices have a full signal. And I'm running an Airport Extreme. There's actually quite a bit of complaints around the internet and in Apple's forums about iPad WiFi performance.

It's gotten better with the last software update, but it's still far from optimal. I'm really hoping they fix this in the iPad 2.

And FWIW, I honestly believe that the Airport Extreme is one of the best routers out there and well worth the price even if it costs more. :)

C

chas_m

I've only had an iPad for six weeks now, but no idea what you guys are talking about. I take it all over the place, it locks on the local signal and never lets go. I don't have 3G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've only had an iPad for six weeks now, but no idea what you guys are talking about. I take it all over the place, it locks on the local signal and never lets go. I don't have 3G.

You personally may not, but many people do, a quick Google search will find it for you.

It's much, better since 4.2 for sure, but it's still far from perfect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.