• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

0 KB file (jpg and avi)

Reaction score
I took some jpg and video with a helmet cam and when I inserted the SD in my mac I was able to open the folder but everything was ZERO KB. (SEE SCREEN SHOT) I do not understand?

I had to use a PC to copy the files on a thumbdrive then I could view and edit them on my MAC.

I tried using parallel and virtualbox using XP PRO and Win 7 to access it but no good.

I guess the sd drive in a mac is different than a pc???

Can anyone help me? I don't like having to go back to my pc then to mac to work with them.

Thank you

Screen shot 2011-02-09 at 3.05.18 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
You should be able to play the .avi files with VLC

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
so where are the originals? on the thumb drive? because its sounds like something has went wrong either on the transfer, or at the actual recording stage. try re importing from the original source.

dont worry about vlc for now, these files are obviously corrupted in some way.

OP
U
Reaction score
They are on the sd card, but it plays when I put it in a PC just not a mac. Really weird. So what I had to do was put the sd card in a PC. Copy them to a thumb drive then it can be read on the mac. I was trying to figure out why the mac couldn't read the sd card but the PC could.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
well most probably the SD card is formatted to something which the mac cant read.

so you have managed to get the files over to the mac then?

to format an SD card for mac go to disk utility, select the sd card in the left hand side, then click Erase. use Mac OS Journaled, or FAT32 if you want to read on PCs aswell.

this will erase all the data on your SD card, so i only recommend doing this if you already have a working backup of your videos/pics somewhere.

How to Format an SD Card on a Mac | eHow.com

btw from the helmet cam i am guessing you are in the army? if so thank you for your hard work.

OP
U
Reaction score
I was able to open them once I transferred it to a thumb drive from the sd using a PC. I was hoping I didn't need that step.

Yes, I am a Ranger and thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.