Dynex usb hub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" (Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM) running OSX 10.5.8
I just bought this Dynex 4-port usb hub and it won't work with my macbook. it says nothing about being mac compatible on the packaging, but I didn't think to look at that when I bought it. I thought compatibility was a software issue, not really a hardware one :/ I'm an amateur, what can I say. Anyway, is there a way this hub will work for my macbook?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
why wont it work, what are you plugging into it? can you see it in system profiler? (apple menu, about this mac, more info, USB? (what do you see in this directory, Each disclosure triangle with USB Bus next to them is a USB port on your computer))

is it a powered hub? if not are you trying to use a bus powered drive with it?

most USB hardware works on a mac without an issue. if its not coming up it is most likely faulty.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry it took me to long to get back to you! I appreciate the help

So my system profiler indicates my computer is recognizing the two peripherals I have plugged in to the hub: An Mbox2mini and a LaCie 1TB external drive. I also recognizes the 2 empty ports corresponding to the hub...But I can't use or access these peripherals! the Mbox isn't getting power and the external is not visible.

Picture 1.png

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay, i am a pro tools user too, and one thing i would definitely not advise is plugging your mbox into a hub. it will just cause problems.

again, is this a powered hub? if not, this will be why your drive is not visible.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's a powered hub. It lights up when plugged into the port. But even if it isn't, I have an adapter to plug it in (which I've tried, to no avail)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No a powered hub is one that plugs into your mains. From the sound of things the MB is unable to deliver sufficient power from the USB port to operate the hub and attachments which is usually the case.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so how do I remedy that? I've tried plugging it in to my power source but it doesn't seem to change anything. Plug it in and restart the computer? Will that make a difference?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its hard to say, you could have a defective unit. unplug everything, trun the computer off, plug it in to the power and the computer, then turn everything on, then plug in the hard drives and etc to the hub.

i repeat :Mboxes do not like USB Hubs!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't plug the Mbox into the hub, I got ya! lol I'll try what you suggested when I get home at the end of the week, I'll let you know how it turns out, Thanks again!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't plug the Mbox into the hub, I got ya! lol I'll try what you suggested when I get home at the end of the week, I'll let you know how it turns out, Thanks again!

haha okay cool beans.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried the shut down/re-boot - no dice. I'm pretty sure I don't need to power this thing externally - it lights up the same way whether or not it's plugged into a wall outlet. Did the screen shot I posted previously not give any useful info?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you may be able to work it without power but alot of externals dont like being plugged into a bus powered source.

if your still having problems i reckon its faulty. my USB hub comes up underneath "USB Bus" as "Hub".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.