• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best way to backup DVD's *from a Mac noob*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods
I want to copy movies for my son to use, I'm tired of him scratching all my DVD's. I have an iMac G5 running 10.3.9, single layer DVD burner.

Leo Laporte's radio show gave the following as the cheapest/easiest solution:
I can rip the DVD to my HD with Mac the Ripper, download Quicktime 7 Pro, plus the mpeg2 encoder plug in. Convert the .vob files to mpeg2 with Quicktime Pro.
Export the the now mpeg2 files to iMovie, then burn with iDVD.

Now I trust Leo, I loved the Screensavers, but everywhere I have searched on the net doesn't even propose this as a solution. All I hear about is Toast and Popcorn from Roxio (as a bonus I loath Roxio, was a Nero fan in the PC world).

I dont want to spend the $50 on Quicktime Pro and the mpeg2 decoder if it doesnt work, but Toast costs twice that. Whats a guy to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
talleyrand said:
I want to copy movies for my son to use, I'm tired of him scratching all my DVD's. I have an iMac G5 running 10.3.9, single layer DVD burner.

Leo Laporte's radio show gave the following as the cheapest/easiest solution:
I can rip the DVD to my HD with Mac the Ripper, download Quicktime 7 Pro, plus the mpeg2 encoder plug in. Convert the .vob files to mpeg2 with Quicktime Pro.
Export the the now mpeg2 files to iMovie, then burn with iDVD.

Now I trust Leo, I loved the Screensavers, but everywhere I have searched on the net doesn't even propose this as a solution. All I hear about is Toast and Popcorn from Roxio (as a bonus I loath Roxio, was a Nero fan in the PC world).

I dont want to spend the $50 on Quicktime Pro and the mpeg2 decoder if it doesnt work, but Toast costs twice that. Whats a guy to do?
Check out this thread... http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22868

I would also go the Roxio and MacTheRipper route. Works really well.

O

ompa9

G'day Talleyrand,

I had the same problem, I spent days downloading freeware and trial software. I took some advise from this forum and bought Popcorn and its really well with MTR. It gets the job done.

Regards Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Talleyrand, How did everything work out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Its a pity that Nero does not make programs for Mac, I really did like Nero. Anyway the one you posted sounds the best free route I guess.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Handbrake is another great app for archiving DVD's to mpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
What I do to backup DVD's is:

First: Put the DVD into the drive and open it in DVD player to initialize it.
Second: Use either Mac the Ripper, DVDBackup, or OSEx to rip the DVD onto my hardrive as a VideoTS folder
Third: Depending on how you want the file, I then use either Roxio Popcorn to burn to compress and burn to a DVD or use VisualHub to convert the VideoTS folder to an MP4 file for my iPod.

Hopefully this works for you, the only programs that would cost money are either one of the two you would use in the third step. This method has worked flawlessly (although take some time to do) for over a year now. Hope you can get things figured out. :mac:

Reaction score
I would use handbrake and encode at the highest quality, then burn the mpg file to dvd using iDVD. Its easy and free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.