Classic Environment Woes

Reaction score
Sheepshaver with OS9 - HELP

Hi All
I am the proud owner of a new iMac, and totally oblivious to the fact that Classic apps and games dont work on new macs I went and bought Full Throttle Mac Version, only to find that it is unsupported. I did a lot of reading up on emulation and after hours of trial and error... emphasis on ERROR... I managed to download a copy of Sheepshaver coupled with OS9. I tried the game and it works, however it is so incredibly slow that it is completely unplayable. Does anyone know of a way to make this any faster?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

OP
G
Reaction score
Right. I have a new Apple iMAC (bought in 2010), and completely oblivious to that fact that Legacy Apps and Games are not supported I bought a game called Full Throttle, and instantly got the error message that Classic apps are not supported.
I did a lot of reading up on Emulation, and found that Sheepshaver was the way for me to go. After hours of trial and error I managed to download a version of Sheepshaver that is coupled with OS9. After installing it, I am able to access OS9, and more importantly run the Game, however the game runs incredibly slowly. It is completely unplayable.

Does anyone know of a way I can get this running faster? Am I fighting a lost cause, or is there anything I can do to make this game run smoothly?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does anyone know of a way I can get this running faster? Am I fighting a lost cause, or is there anything I can do to make this game run smoothly?

My suggestion is...buy an old iMac G3 or Powermac G4 (about $20-$30 bucks here in the US) where you can boot into OS 9 natively to play old game(s).

This will save you a lot of frustration.

HTH,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And do not cross post. Since you created a thread here there is no reason to post the same to another thread. That causes confusion and clutters the forums.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
or get the windows version and run bootcamp. its so much easier and simpler than messing around with sheepshaver, and it runs natively (i.e not in a virtual machine, as sheep shaver does.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.