iMac 27inch i5 - i7

Reaction score
Hi there,

looking for some advice please on a new iMac 27" i5 or i7.

My partner is at university and we have recently sold our macbook to put towards an apple desktop as she would like a bigger screen and does not need it portable.

Now with her student discount we can get an iMac i7 for the price of an i5 but obviously we could get the i5 cheaper also.

My question is, is it worth us spending the extra £169 or so to get the i7?
we wont really be using it for high graphic demand but suppose we would like future proof for a few years anyway and we also where told that in time it would be easier to sell on the i7 than the i5? obviously with apple care involded.

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks

Reaction score
It's really up to you! :) Personally, my wife and I wanted the i7 because we do a lot of processor intensive tasks for our work. For just casual use (browsing, word processing, light photo work, email, etc.) you probably won't notice a huge difference. But when you get into certain areas of work, it does cut down the time things take. It might make a difference when you go to sell, sure. If someone sees an i5 and i7 for sale side by side, many think the i7 is the one to go for, even if it's "overkill" for their needs. It just really depends on the person buying. But when investing this much money, I'd worry more about what you need for your own purposes, than what someone down the road might want it for :)

Personally, if it's safe for you to spend the money, I'd go for the i7. It comes in handy :) But if you won't be doing anything too intense with it, as I said you probably won't really notice the difference.

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I can see your point and you are correct that for her or my needs there more than likely wont be a difference. I just like knowing i have the best of something! lol

I have seen the 27" display and think its just incredible! Just hope we dont buy it then apple go and release another!! lol

Reaction score
No problem! :)

Well, the i7 certainly is the best :p The display is indeed incredible! Don't worry though. Whatever is in the next refresh, I can 99.9999999% guarantee you it's not a new display :) It's likely going to be something minimally different. Just a processor refresh or something like that. (And it may not be that, it may be a lot more! It's really impossible for anyone to know, but the chances of just a complete and total change are all but non-existant.)

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply! i7 it will be then! so thats now ipad, 2 iphones, apple tv, now the iMac 27" that we will have, god i wish i liked oranges other than apple! save a Bl**dy fortune! :)

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Sure! No problem at all! But like I said, if you don't think you'll use the i7, it's not necessary :) (I don't want you to think I was trying to say the i5 is inferior in any way at all! Like I said, if you do light tasks you'll probably not even notice!) Sounds like you have quite the basket of Apples there! Good luck with the iMac! Welcome to the forums and come back often :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.