Time Machine problem.

Reaction score
Morning all!

Apologies if this is in he wrong forum but it looked like the best shot! You'll also have to forgive my amature take on some things, I'm a Windows man myself!

I was hoping you guys and gals could help me out with a problem a client of mine is having. My client has 3 Macs, 1 iMac and 2 Macbooks which all backup via Time Machine to a Western Digital NAS drive. Now I have seen some horror stories regarding WD drives but this one has worked flawlessly on 2 of the Macs.

Now the problem is the iMac and 1 of the Macbooks will backup no problems at all but the other Macbook will not backup for love nor money. It can see the drive fine as it is selectable in TM, I enter the corrent username and password for it (confirmed by the other machines) and it shows me the total size and free space. I can also see the other 2 backup files via the Bonjour browser when entering the username and password for the NAS.

Now when it comes to do the backup it always errors when trying to mount the drive to do the backup saying the username and password are incorrect, which they are not! I have tried removing the details several times in the password storage thingy (Cant remember what its called!), tried creating a new user account on the NAS, making sure the MACbook it up to date, running the repair on the password storage thingy, running a permissons repair on the hard drive, rebooting MACbook, rebooting NAS, rebooting router.

I even tried creating a new user based password thingy but this didnt help either so I restored it back. It will backup when I plug my USB ext HDD in fine, just not to this NAS for whatever reason.

Now I'm not based at the clients site so if I can get a list together of things to try then ill go back over and try them out and report any feedback! As I said im no MAC expert so please be gentle!

Thanks in advance,

Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the "Keychain" is corrupt. In case you're not familiar with what it is, it's where the user passwords are stored. If the file or one of its entries becomes corrupt, that very symptom you described will occur.

What you need to do on the effected MacBook is to open the "Keychain Access.app" from Applications, Utilities and remove the bad entry. Once the bad entry is removed you should be able to enter the correct Username and Password again. A new entry will be created and from that point on it should work OK.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Chscag,

Thanks for replying. Keychain! Thats was what I meant by password storage thingy!

Ive already tried that several times im afraid with no joy. As I said it accepts the username and password when setting up TM, just not when it actually comes to backing it up.

Thanks again,

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Only thing I can think of is to look in the console log files.

Compare the logs step by step, from one Mac that is working with the one that is not working.
The one causing problems will have entries in the log file that may indicate what the problem is.
If the NAS has a logfile, what does that say ?

Can you mount the NAS on that Macbook and drag a file across ?
Can you open that file with an application ?

What are the OS versions of the ones that work and the one that does not work ?

Not much of a help maybe, but we need to start somewhere.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my delayed response! Here is what I get from the console:

Feb 23 11:32:19 macbook /usr/sbin/ocspd[290]: starting
Feb 23 11:32:26 macbook mDNSResponder[16]: *** Keychain Changed *** KeychainEvent=4 kSecDeleteEvent
Feb 23 11:32:42 macbook kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_mount: /Volumes/WD_Backup-1, pid 280
Feb 23 11:32:42 macbook [0x0-0x10010].com.tomtom.HOMERunnerApp[104]: Notifying device changed
Feb 23 11:32:42 macbook [0x0-0x36036].com.apple.systempreferences[255]: chown: /Volumes/WD_Backup-1/.0022413ba56f: Operation not permitted
Feb 23 11:32:42: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 23 11:32:42 macbook [0x0-0xc00c].com.apple.finder[94]: Unexpected reply from backup server - ignored
Feb 23 11:32:42: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 23 11:32:42 macbook kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_unmount: /Volumes/WD_Backup-1, flags 0, pid 297
Feb 23 11:32:42 macbook /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder[94]: StatusMonitor::volumesChangedCallBack returned -47
Feb 23 11:32:42 macbook kernel[0]: ASP_TCP do_thread_read: no reqInfo found for reqID 1
Feb 23 11:32:42 macbook kernel[0]: ASP_TCP CancelOneRequest: cancelling slot 7 error 89 reqID 40 flags 0x9 afpCmd 0x14 so 0x426ce58
Feb 23 11:32:48 macbook /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[284]: Backup requested by user
Feb 23 11:32:48 macbook /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[284]: Starting standard backup
Feb 23 11:32:48 macbook kernel[0]: ASP_TCP CancelOneRequest: cancelling slot 3 error 89 reqID 4 flags 0x9 afpCmd 0x14 so 0x426b4c8
Feb 23 11:32:48 macbook kernel[0]: ASP_TCP do_thread_read: no reqInfo found for reqID 1
Feb 23 11:32:48 macbook /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[284]: FSMountServerVolumeSync failed with error: -5023 for url: afp://[email protected]/WD_Backup
Feb 23 11:32:48 macbook /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[284]: Authentication error - the correct user or password info may not exist in the System.keychain or the server may no longer allow access for this user.
Feb 23 11:32:53: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 23 11:32:53 macbook /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[284]: Backup failed with error: 29

Thanks

Dave

Reaction score
Wireless channel

Hi

If you are using wireless to connect to the time machine then the kernel error starting with ASP_TCP seems to suggest that your having a channel error on the wireless, change the channel settings on your device from auto to a specific channel on both devices and see if that resolves your issue

Per

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.