Time capsule alternatives

Reaction score
I am looking for a networking solution that does exactly what the Time Capsule does. Options are:

1. A refurbished 1TB Time Capsule ($219)
2. A comparable LaCie model ($208)
3. Airport Extreme Base station + external drive
4. NAS Drive + any wireless router
5. Wireless router with USB for NAS + external drive

I need a router and an attached storage solution. I will be using the router with a Mac Mini for home theatre (connected physically), a MBP and an iphone (needs 802.11g compatibility).

What is the best option? Money is definitely a factor, I don't want to spend more than the $219 that the Time Capsule costs.

Thanks for any thoughts...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A TC is normally is one of the last of my recommendations for most folks.

In your situation though, think it might be my first suggestion.

Need a new router - check.
Need to make Time Machine backups from multiple machines - check.

I use a D-Link as my primary router, but I do have a 1st gen Time Capsule. It's about 3 years old now and has been pretty much flawless at both the wifi network I run on it and for TM backups for both my Macs.

For what you're looking to do, don't know that I'd spend all the time and effort of looking at everything there is out there to maybe save $20 or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.