2nd partition on hdd is locked...?

Reaction score
I am new to Mac... And recieved a Imac G3 450 DV for Christmas from my brother to give me an introduction to the world of Mac. I have upgraded the ram to 1Gb, and have changed the HDD to a 40 Gb Maxtor. I formatted the drive using MacDrive 8 (cant find any support for this issue on their site..); I made the 1st partition 7 Gb HFS+ and made the remaing 2nd partition HFS+ as well, (using my PC to do this)

All looks good... I installed the drive in my IMac G3 and installed OS 9. 2. 2. (I have also updated the firmware to the required 4.1.9.; in order to later install OS X)

All works fine .. both Partitions show up on the desktop, and I can open the 2nd partition, but cant write to it.. I have been searching for quite some time on Google and Mac support for a solution, but cant find anything that seems to be the answer. Is there a way to unlock the 2nd partition without erasing the whole drive? thank you in advance...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.