G4 466 Digital Audio... power supply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac Retina - 3.2 i5 - 8GB - 256GB SSD - R9 M380 GPU
Hey guys, I'm picking up yet another Mac to add to my collection... a 466MHz Digital Audio tower. The downside is the power supply is bad. What I am wanting to know... is this something I can repair? I know how to solder and such, and I am wondering if I can take apart the power supply and fix it, or is this a case of just replacing the power supply?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys, I'm picking up yet another Mac to add to my collection... a 466MHz Digital Audio tower. The downside is the power supply is bad. What I am wanting to know... is this something I can repair? I know how to solder and such, and I am wondering if I can take apart the power supply and fix it, or is this a case of just replacing the power supply?

Thanks!

I would bet that if you can accurately identify the part or parts in the power supply that are bad...if you are good with soldering/desoldering...and if you can locate a source for replacement parts...I'm sure it can be repaired. But like anything with old computers...is repairing it the best route financially.

Alternative routes could be:

- locate a cheap used replacement power supply
- locate a 2nd non-working Powermac G4 that uses the same power supply (power supply is good)...if you're lucky, these can be found for $10-$20 bucks. Actually working or not working these can be found for around $20 bucks.

Repairing the current non-working power supply would seem to be the least expensive option...and be the most satisfying from a "project" standpoint...but the replacement parts might actually cost you more than a whole working 2nd Powermac G4.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... thanks for that link. However I found a guy that sells the conversion harness for $20. Can't beat the deal... I'm getting the computer for free, plus I already have a 375w ATX powers supply in my closet.

http://atxg4.com/

Even with that, I may attempt pulling apart the supply myself to find the cause of the failure.. it's obviously a common thing that may be fixable...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... thanks for that link. However I found a guy that sells the conversion harness for $20. Can't beat the deal... I'm getting the computer for free, plus I already have a 375w ATX powers supply in my closet.

See that's what I'm saying. For $20 bucks you might get lucky & be able to buy a whole used Powermac G4. This past Summer I bought a Powermac G4 733mhz for $30 (with a printer & and a copy of 10.4, and extra ink). Last Friday I got a 500mhz G3 iMac for $15.

But in the grand scheme of things...$20 isn't too bad.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Picked it up today, and yes, the power supply is dead. Plugged a cord into it and I can hear the little zap you always get when you plug a cord in, but nothing when I hit the power switch.

Actually, does anyone know what the rated wattage is for this power supply? It doesn't say on the supply what the total is.

Reaction score
See that's what I'm saying. For $20 bucks you might get lucky & be able to buy a whole used Powermac G4. This past Summer I bought a Powermac G4 733mhz for $30 (with a printer & and a copy of 10.4, and extra ink). Last Friday I got a 500mhz G3 iMac for $15.

But in the grand scheme of things...$20 isn't too bad.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Like I saw a Ethernet G4 at the thrift store for $12.00 several weeks ago...have too many now and passed on it.:\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I saw a Ethernet G4 at the thrift store for $12.00 several weeks ago...have too many now and passed on it.:\

I STILL have not seen one Mac at my local thrift stores. There must be something special about your location that so many Mac's show up at the thrift store!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same here... our thrift store workers around here take the good stuff for themselves and sell it on eBay. Best thing I ever found at a thrift store around here was a Apple mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.