can anyone run through with me how to install windows 7 in bootcamp from .iso

Reaction score
Hi guys im new here so im sorry if this is in the wrong section but i would really appreciate your help

i want to install windows 7 ultimate in bootcamp. i have a Windows 7 .iso and im not sure how to burn it to a dvd, so can you recommend a program to do it with?

then do i just insert the dvd and run bootcamp assistant like i normally would?

Thanks for your help!

Max

Reaction score
If it's in .iso format there will be a strong belief that it's been downloaded, and you won't probably find assistance... Did you purchase a physical disc? If you did then someone can probably help you :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are quite a few colleges and universities that provide a copy of Windows for their students. The student downloads the legal copy from the school server in the form of an ISO or executable. Also, if he has a MSDN subscription, it would be downloaded direct from MS as an ISO. And finally, Microsoft sells Windows 7 from their on line store as a legal download. They do, however, also mail out a DVD to the buyer.

To the OP:

Use Disk Utility to burn the ISO to a DVD. That should render the DVD bootable so that it can be installed using the Boot Camp assistant.

Reaction score
There are quite a few colleges and universities that provide a copy of Windows for their students. The student downloads the legal copy from the school server in the form of an ISO or executable. Also, if he has a MSDN subscription, it would be downloaded direct from MS as an ISO. And finally, Microsoft sells Windows 7 from their on line store as a legal download. They do, however, also mail out a DVD to the buyer.

Cool! Didn't know that :) (I was by no means trying to accuse the OP of piracy, I hope it didn't come across that way :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In fact Clockwork downloading ISO's is the way of the future for software purchases. The DVD will become redundant. Here in Australia Office 2011 Home and Business purchased as a download costs $379.00, and the version on DVD is an additional $22.00 extra.

Downloaded mine and burnt it to a DVD as chscag describes. A year or two ago would naturally think downloaded software was pirated. How things change?

Reaction score
Interesting :) Just hope they never completely get rid of physical discs!

Indeed they have changed! I never knew you could legally do that (aside from things like the app store of course) I'm used to seeing even recent posts about iso's and dmg's being thought pirated :) Glad to learn!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
In fact Clockwork downloading ISO's is the way of the future for software purchases. The DVD will become redundant. Here in Australia Office 2011 Home and Business purchased as a download costs $379.00, and the version on DVD is an additional $22.00 extra.

Downloaded mine and burnt it to a DVD as chscag describes. A year or two ago would naturally think downloaded software was pirated. How things change?

I can see this new wave of ISO's being a troubleshooting nightmare.
The day will come when we don't even ask anymore how the person came upon the ISO.
We will go through all the trouble of helping the person get their computer up and running with the ISO (in true Hackintosh form), and then be blamed for messing up the person's computer when things go all pear shaped, only to eventually find out that the ISO was an illegal download.

OP
M
Reaction score
@chscag yeahh i got it from my school :) they're rolling out xp as a student scheme to us with macs (about 4 in my year haha) but i managed to get my hands on a 7 ultimate as part of a staff roll out

i can work with .iso's and they're fantastic to use in OSX because you can mount them right there and then, but in windows they're a right nightmare. and installing an OS from one, i was sceptical, but i did some digging around for burning software and got it working fine :)

but i got it to work with no issues in the end, used Toast, burned to disc, then it just ran with no problems with bootcamp :)

thanks for all your help guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
you can download every version of windows 7 for free from microsoft. you dont need a key to install. it installs as a trial. then you can buy a key and update the key later. this is rather convient because for instance say you buy a machine with windows 7 on it. it has tons of junk on it. you can download the same version of windows 7 as a stand alone so you get no junkware and install it then use your perfectly legal key that you got with the machine. the only requirements for this to work is it must be the same version of windows that came with your machine and its an oem key so it works on a single machine. trying to use that key on different machines doesnt work. your not getting anything from microsoft you didnt pay for nor are you getting anything for free.

Reaction score
I did this actually...

I have a VLSC subscription and downloaded Windows 7 Enterprise to install on my MacBook Pro. I simply mounted the ISO image in Disk Utility and followed the Boot Camp Assistant prompts. Worked like magic. Not sure if it makes any difference at all, but I also had NTFS-3G installed beforehand to enable NTFS read/write capabilities. I know 10.6 has native read (and a corrupt write ability with some hacking for the daring), but I had issues with Windows *designed* ISOs before installing NTFS-3G.

Actually, in my opinion, ANYONE who regularly uses/owns both Macs and PCs interchangeably needs to have NTFS-3G installed on their Macs (and MacDrive for your PC if you're willing to shell out the cash). Relying on any built-in NTFS support from Apple has lead to nothing but headaches with some files loading here, but not loading there, or copying under XYZ condition, but not ZXY condition, etc... I'm sure this tirade belongs somewhere else, but I digress.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, in my opinion, ANYONE who regularly uses/owns both Macs and PCs interchangeably needs to have NTFS-3G installed on their Macs (and MacDrive for your PC if you're willing to shell out the cash). Relying on any built-in NTFS support from Apple has lead to nothing but headaches with some files loading here, but not loading there, or copying under XYZ condition, but not ZXY condition, etc... I'm sure this tirade belongs somewhere else, but I digress.

Got to disagree with you regarding NTFS-3G. Too many reports of it being buggy and causing corruption. The best solution is to purchase Paragon NTFS from Paragon software for $19.95. It works both ways eliminating any reason to purchase MacDrive.

And as for the built in write capability to NTFS of Snow Leopard, it works just fine. The folks who I've run into that say it didn't work or were having trouble with it, either didn't know how to use it or how to set it up in the first place. (Assuming you're referring to the free NTFSMounter software.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.