Reformatting PowerPC : How to save apps?

Reaction score
Hello all.. Long time reader, first time poster..

I've searched but cant seem to find the info I'm looking for..

First of all, my all so powerful and worthy specs:

OS X Version 10.5.8
Dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
2MB L3 cache per processor
2 GB DDR SDRAM

(I know, its old :p)

Here is my question.. I bought this Mac from an old teacher of mine because of the software it has on it.. Final Cut Pro, Adobe CS3/CS4, etc.. BUT the thing runs slower than dirt and I want to reformat the whole thing.. wipe it clean.. start anew.. I really want to keep the applications and i read somewhere I can just drag them onto an external HD and them drag them back after the re-format.. Is this too good to be true? Will this keep all the CD Keys or will I need to re-register the software after the re-format?

Thank you guys so much in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't say whether or not you have the original CDs for all that software. If you don't have the original CDs and serial number keys for the software, those copies are illegal anyway.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ah I was unaware of that scenario.. Not having the original disks but owning the only computer the software was installed on is still illegal?

Well if thats the case it looks like I need to track down the cd's from the previous owner..

Thanks for your help..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ah I was unaware of that scenario.. Not having the original disks but owning the only computer the software was installed on is still illegal?

Maybe, maybe not. But, without them, you have no proof that it's legal.

Maybe not: if they weren't used to install the software on another computer also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.