Cannot eject cd from my iMac - Mac OS X Installer

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have just purchased a second had iMac.

iMac 4,1 (2006)
2GHz Intel Core Duo
2Gb RAM

Wanted to erase previous image to install OS Leopard on system but was informed that I couldn't install the software. Found out later that I used the wrong disc as this was a grey disc and wouldn't work on the Mac I had but I cannot eject the disc from Mac OS X Installer. I have now a retail copy of Snow Leopard but first need to eject the Leopard disc.

I have tried the following:

- Holding down the eject button on keyboard and restarting
- Holding down CMD, O + F
- Holding the mouse tracker bal key and restarting

This is my first Mac so it's abit confusing at the moment to understand what I need to do to rectify my problem.

Please can anyone help?

Many Thanks in advance.

Tony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums
Hold down the left mouse button just after you hear the startup chime. This should eject it for you :)
Let us know how you get on though

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry to sound supid but the mouse I have seems to have a trackerball and the whole thing clicks down. I've not been able to set the mouse up yet proberly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Click the whole mouse down, it should do the trick

HTH
- Simon

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There might be another button on the trackball mouse that works as a left mouse button. Try that - if you're unsure as to which button it is, try them all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well does it appear under Disk Utility? If so you may be able to eject from there.
When using the eject button on the keyboard it may be necessary to hold down the button for six seconds or so if it is obstinate.
Install am Eject button in the Menu Bar and see if that helps.

To install the eject button in the Menu Bar go to Macintosh HD > System > Library > Core Services > Menu Extras. Double click Menu Extras and inside will be a folder entitled "Eject.Menu". Double click and the eject button will appear. You can position it by dragging.

OP
T
Reaction score
Can I use an external CD/DVD drive to try and install Snow Leopard then try and and eject the disc? or will the iMac still try to use the Leopard disc?

OP
T
Reaction score
Tried disc utility to try and eject the disc but it was having none of it. You can here the disc booting up but it will not eject. Drive was working perfect yesterday afternoon. It's my first Apple product so am I doing something wrong? When I deleted the original image file, have a corrupted my system?

OP
T
Reaction score
Previously explained to Applecare but to take steps further, they wanted me to pay £35.00!!!

I've just purchased my first iMac. It's second hand but I'm happy. I've purchased a iMac 4,1 (2006) 20" 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb RAM and 250Gb HD. The system was pre-installed with OS 10.4 and had a lot of other stuff installed from the previous owner. I decided to try and update the OS but erased the previous image first. Inserted the Leopard install disc one into the cd/dvd drive to begin the install but was prompted 'Mac OS X Software cannot be installed'. Checked disc 2 and found out that the discs where not the retail install discs.

The issue I have now is my iMac will not eject the disc. I have an option for 'OK' or 'Restart'. Click OK and enter Utilities>Disk Utility but from there I cannot eject the disc. Read on the internet that the disc will be running as the OS system??? Tried holding down the eject button on keyboard and restarting, tried the CMD O+F to access the Openware but again couldn't resolve the issue.

Can you help? I have a retail copy of Snow Leopard to hand to install.

OP
T
Reaction score
My mistake after all. I had my mouse connected to my keyboard and that is why I couldn't use the 'hold down mouse and restart' option to eject the cd.

Many thanks for all your help on the matter and I'm sure I will be back on the forums with other questions as I am a Newbie to the Apple World!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.