MBA hitting 105 degrees, CPU overworking. Whats wrong?

Reaction score
This is now happening for the second time in a week. My CPU will randomly start working at 35-60% (both cores) with only a Safari browser open and maybe a Pages doc open, as a result the CPU temp hits 105 and the fan is maxxed at 6200rpm. I have shut down and restarted and checked the Activity Monitor for any unusual apps running and nothing is running that shouldn't be.
Last time this happened it suddenly just stopped and went back to running normal.

What could this be?
My MBA is a 1st gen and has never had any issues like this before.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Were you watching streaming video or on a site that uses Flash for display or action movement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Also, .... have you selected " All Processes " in Activity monitor ( Upper right hand corner )
What process is burning all the CPU cycles ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
G
Reaction score
Were you watching streaming video or on a site that uses Flash for display or action movement?

Not at all, I know youtube vids will get it running hot, but not this hot. Right now I have a Safari browser open and 2 Pages docs. I can even close everything down and still the CPU is cookin.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I assume you're talking metric here - if not, 105° isn't anything to worry about. If it's hitting 105°C, then there is something that needs to be resolved. While I agree that Flash can increase the CPU temperature given its need to use much more CPU than it has to, it shouldn't bring the temperature anywhere near 105°. I've never seen my CPU go any higher than 85° and that was when this machine was working hard. What do you have open in those tabs? What kind of surface are you using your machine on? What are the specs of your machine?

OP
G
Reaction score
I assume you're talking metric here - if not, 105° isn't anything to worry about. If it's hitting 105°C, then there is something that needs to be resolved. While I agree that Flash can increase the CPU temperature given its need to use much more CPU than it has to, it shouldn't bring the temperature anywhere near 105°. I've never seen my CPU go any higher than 85° and that was when this machine was working hard. What do you have open in those tabs? What kind of surface are you using your machine on? What are the specs of your machine?

What ever the temps are in the Dashboard. The bottom is very hot.
I have this web page open and had FB open for a bit, plus a Pages doc, comp in on a desk, vents are clean and open.

Specs are 1.6ghz, 80gb HD, 2gb memory, integrated video card....i can't remember the rest, its the 1st gen MBA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Not at all, I know youtube vids will get it running hot, but not this hot. Right now I have a Safari browser open and 2 Pages docs. I can even close everything down and still the CPU is cookin.

Close all apps and have a look at activity monitor as I suggested above.
Sort the processes by CPU usage and post a screenshot.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
G
Reaction score
I don't know how to post a screen shot.

The only thing using CPU on the activity monitor is the activity monitor, 2.9%

OP
G
Reaction score
Problem solved!

thats was easy, I opened up "all processes" which i never thought to do and found a document waiting to print, CPU 98%. Quit that and already temps are down to 61, CPU just barely working.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You're welcome.

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't know how to post a screen shot.
Just for future reference:
  • Command-Shift-3: Screenshot of entire screen.
  • Command-Shift-4: Screenshot of selected area.
  • Command-Shift-4 and then press spacebar: Picture of selected window.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Problem solved!

thats was easy, I opened up "all processes" which i never thought to do and found a document waiting to print, CPU 98%. Quit that and already temps are down to 61, CPU just barely working.

Thanks!

Congratulations finding the problem!:) 105°C is pretty darn hot!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.