Restoring from a Manual Backup?

Reaction score
So, my hard drive took a dive the other day (I think it was a bad partitioning for Bootcamp), and I now need to restore from a backup.

I use a laptop, and I rarely connect to an external drive, so my backup was a manual backup to the Amazon Cloud. Here are the files I backed up:

/Library
~/Desktop
~/Documents
~/Library
~/Music
~/Pictures

I want a simple way to restore everything. My keychain, mail messages, iTunes library, and settings should all be in there somewhere. How do I get it back?

Here's what I was thinking:
Create an admin account.
Create a normal user with the same shortname as my backed up account.
As admin, copy all of the files from the cloud to the home folder of my backed up account.
Repair disk permissions.
Load a fully functioning user account.

Will that work, or is there some step that I need to throw in there to make everything go as planned?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forum.

What tool did you use to back up ?
I assume that what you call a " manual backup " was a drag and drop into the cloud.

If it was a drag and drop, there is no way of knowing that you have copied all files, so I doubt it very much you can " restore everything " from that.

Pop in the original OS X DVD's that came with your machine, re-install the OS, re-install your applications and then copy back from the cloud the information that is there.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
T
Reaction score
I used JungleDisk Backup vault, which should include all of the files in those folders I listed (including hidden files, and all of the associated permissions). I didn't save my applications or my system files.

I reinstalled from the OS X disk, and the base install seems to be working, but I haven't transferred over the files.

Any other thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.