MacBook graphics quality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen
I've been considering getting a desktop Mac for my digital photo work, based upon excellent reviews of the displays currently used by the iMac. My wife has suggested that I might opt for a laptop with a docking arrangement instead for greater flexibility. Is the graphics output of the MacBooks equivalent to the iMac? If so, then the laptop docking option would be a logical way to go for me as I travel a fair amount.

Reaction score
I can't speak for all of them, but our Macbook Pro is just as amazing as our iMac. I am certain all the other Macbook models are as well :) I know the lower resolutions on the lower end models are not as fine, but I am sure they still look great!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you don't need portability, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck by buying an iMac. Also, the MacWorld Magazine speed tests show the top end iMac (with the exception of the Mac Pro) to be the fastest Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the info! I kicked the tires on the Macbook Pro at my local Apple store last week and thought I'd bounce the docking idea off some other folks with more knowledge.

I'm eying a 15 inch MBP with the i7. I've been reading about an eminent upgrade happening in the next few months to the MacBooks-- is it worth it to wait for the newer i7 processors? I've been reading about some issues with the newest ones that might suggest that purchasing now or much later (to let the issues get straightened out).

Dan

Reaction score
You'll hear varying opinions. But the new i7's won't bring THAT much of a bump in speed, usually it's a little more, but not leaps and bounds... If you're happy with what you test drove, you won't lose anything (in my opinion) by going for it! :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't need portability, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck by buying an iMac. Also, the MacWorld Magazine speed tests show the top end iMac (with the exception of the Mac Pro) to be the fastest Mac.

I do fairly heavy Photoshop CS5 work with some light video editing. Most of the time I'm at the desk but I do some travel photography on the road so having a good laptop is a plus. I'm not a big multi-tasker, but PS is pretty intensive so performance is a bit of an issue when working with large RAW files.

My wife was thinking that with a docking setup I wouldn't be tempted to buy both a laptop and a desktop ;D

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
I have a friend that does exactly that. They take their MBP with them for onsite shoots, quick thumbs for client review, etc., but keep most of their major editing work reserved for the home office using a KB/mouse and large external.

I'm actually writing this from an HP notebook I use mostly as a desktop (24" display, wirless mouse/KB), but it's nice when I want to move somewhere else in the house (I'm also at a home office), I just grab it and go. Also terrific when I'm occasionally on the road, I have all my docs, development environment with me, etc.

I hooked our 13" MBP up to my desktop gear and it worked fantastic.

FYI, the fastest MBP GPU (330M in the 15 and 17") isn't as fast as the 5750 in the iMac, but they're still very competent, and probably wouldn't make a huge difference in your described usage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.