Asking For Help Figuring Out Kernel Panic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Good Day Everyone!
I hate to add yet another Kernel Panic thread, but you folks are so helpful, I thought I'd post mine here & hope one of you can help me get my doorstop running again!

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro running 10.4.11 with 2.2 GHz processor and 2 Gb or RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600m GT graphics chip (card?).

A week or so ago, I would get the multi lingual "Must Restart" screen when I powered on. Sometimes, after repeated attempts, the MacBook would boot fine. Later, during use, the mouse and keyboard would freeze. I would have to re-boot. The Mac would always be able to boot to Safe Mode, but once inside safe mode, I had no idea how to troubleshoot, other than turn on each component one-by-one. (Such as Airport and Sound) Everything worked.

I learned here that Kernel Panics are often hardware related. Keeping that in mind: I used Disk Utility to repair permissions & verify the disk. I also tried Tech Tools Deluxe, Memtest and every program I could find to test the hardware. I repeated each test several times. Everything checked out OK with each test, but the panics continued. I tried an 'Archive and Install" of OSX. The problem remained.

I preformed a "Nuke & Pave" of the hard drive. I erased the entire disk (both volumes). It is a 120 Gb drive, formatted to Journaled. It has two volumes: One is 91.7Gb (63 Available) and the other is 19.7Gb (14.1 Available). Both have OSX 10.4.11. The second volume has only the operating system on it. I haven't visited that volume since I re-installed everything.

The only non-Apple-included programs on the Mac are Turbo CAD For Mac 2.0, Parallels 3.0 (with Windows 98SE as the Guest OS), Microsoft Office For Mac 2004, Onyx and Databackup For Mac 3.1. All programs have been updated by using their update feature.

Everything was spiffy all day yesterday until the evening when I got a Kernel panic on a start up. Today, I have nothing but Kernel Panics at start up (the multi lingual screen). I got the Mac running by booting to a clone of the Hard Drive I made with Databackup. (I used Option-Power Button)

I am quite confused about what could be causing this. I tried to read the Crash Reporter Log and, of course, understood nothing! I looked in Crash Reporter folder, but it is empty.

I have attached a copy of this morning's panic log from HD/Library/Logs and a copy of the Report To Apple page that showed up when I booted with the clone HD. I could only figure out how to upload them as pdf files. I hope that's OK.

I sure appreciate any help you all can lend to get me back in action!
Paul

View attachment Kernel Panic Report Feb 8 2011 8AM.pdf

View attachment Panic Log Feb 8 2011 8am.pdf

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More Information That May Help

I just figured out I posted an incomplete Panic Log. In Console, I found the one that is attached here. It has this morning's crash:
Sorry for the goof!
Paul

View attachment Panic Log Feb 8 2011.txt

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
obviously i have next to no idea, but i googled "unresolved kernel trap" and came up with this page:

Unresolved Kernel Trap [Archive] - The macosxhints Forums

this guy seems to have a problem with his pci card, and your panic log has an extrasct that is similar:

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI(2.1.4)@0x2a126000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(2.1.5)@0x2a0f6000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(1.4)@0x27476000

yours says:

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.NVDAResman(5.0.8)@0x741000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x5fa000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.4.8)@0x717000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.4.8)@0x732000
com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.4.8)@0x732000
com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.4.8)@0x717000

hopefully this is something to go on. i have a limited knowledge of kernel panics, but seeing as no one else has replied i thought id have a stab at it. :)

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks RobDuckyWorth!

I studied the link you gave me. In it, there is mention of the graphics card. By coincidence, today I received an E-Mail saying the graphics chip I have (Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT) is the subject of a class action suit for defects. I wonder if that is the source of the kernel panics?

As a side note- I have had this MacBook in for service because of the scrambled video in the past. No problem was ever found. But, now Nvidia is replacing them. Hmmm.... The kernel panic & this card must somehow be related. The screen scrambled twice yesterday, as it has (occasionally) since day one. I think I will study your link's panic reports versus mine and look for similarities & more clues.

Thanks very much for your reply. It is much appreciated and pointed me in a direction to follow! Until I get this resolved; I will hit 'save' frequently while I work & back up the computer much more often than my usual every other day.

Paul
PS: I viewed your video about Handbrake. You made a very nice presentation!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
hmm... kernel panics are usually to do with hardware problems, i usually get them when i unplug my interface prematurely.

this would suggest your graphics card too:

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.4.8)@0x717000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.4.8)@0x732000

it could be a combination however.

Well I would recommend going in and demanding a new chip then, since they are giving them away free! it could solve all your problems.

thank you very much for your compliments on my tutorial, hopefully should reduce the amount of posts about DVDs :)

take it easy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.