iMAC G5 Tries to Start, Screen darkens and Fans run FULL speed

Reaction score
Hi- New to this forum but not to macs. I have an IMac G5 17" 1.8ghz, that is the original non-isight that turns on, grey screen starts, ten wheel runs for about 3-10 secs, screen goes blank and nothing else...I have tried to replace the caps on the system board via Jim Warholic's directions and still have the same problem. Tried using original system discs and booting from those but same thing happens. Screen goes dark but not black...any ideas???

Thanks Hammertimeaz

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi- New to this forum but not to macs. I have an IMac G5 17" 1.8ghz, that is the original non-isight that turns on, grey screen starts, ten wheel runs for about 3-10 secs, screen goes blank and nothing else...I have tried to replace the caps on the system board via Jim Warholic's directions and still have the same problem. Tried using original system discs and booting from those but same thing happens. Screen goe dark but not black...any ideas???

Thanks Hammertimeaz

OP
H
Reaction score
Update to the thread

Hi- New to this forum but not to macs. I have an IMac G5 17" 1.8ghz, that is the original non-isight that turns on, grey screen starts, ten wheel runs for about 3-10 secs, screen goes blank and nothing else...I have tried to replace the caps on the system board via Jim Warholic's directions and still have the same problem. Tried using original system discs and booting from those but same thing happens. Screen goe dark but not black...any ideas???

Thanks Hammertimeaz

The unit will boot in safe mode, repaired permissions, repaired disk, still no luck. The safe mode comes up and tells me my date is wrong but that's just a battery thing, right? I will replace it this eve when I return from work but I cannot see that really being the problem? Also, at the very end of the safe boot, the screen was "scratchy" and had lines as if the monitor was going out but as soon as the OS came up, the liens went away...this one has me stumped. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Update to the thread...NOt sure what's causing...

The unit will boot in safe mode, repaired permissions, repaired disk, still no luck. The safe mode comes up and tells me my date is wrong but that's just a battery thing, right? I will replace it this eve when I return from work but I cannot see that really being the problem? Also, at the very end of the safe boot, the screen was "scratchy" and had lines as if the monitor was going out but as soon as the OS came up, the liens went away...this one has me stumped. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First change the battery and see if that helps. Also, you stated that you replaced capacitors according to Jim's directions but have the same problem. Were the capacitors swollen or did any burst? And, did you replace all of them? The reason I ask is that you may have a power supply problem.

I'm sure that one of our G5 knowledgeable folks will tune in here and offer some better advice. So stay tuned and let us know how you're progressing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And do not cross post! Posting the same thread to multiple forums causes confusion and clutters the forums. Your threads have been merged.

OP
H
Reaction score
Have tried PRAM and NVRAm but no luck

I have tried the PRAM and NVRAM with No luck. Thanks though...

The 3 of the first 5 that Jim Warholic shows were popped, a little snerge but none got on the MB. So I replaced all 5 of those. I also noticed this am that the screen seemed to have a bunch of white lines on it but they seemed to change their appearance when I changed the resolution of the screen. When you say that it might be the power supply...does the iMac use less power in Safe mode? I have the screen maxed, ran diags on the hardware and all is OK. I almost feel like its a video issue but not smart enough on these things.

Thanks for any assistance!

OP
H
Reaction score
Replaced battery, no luck...Im thinking about the hard drive next, does ANYBODY have ANY ideas? Thanks HammertimeinAZ

Reaction score
?

I'm having the same issue with the same computer. did you ever resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, broke down and sent my Power supply to a guy in NY to fix. His turn time was excellent and it only cost 60 for the repair. Well worth it b/c I was stumped and had no more time to be messing around with it. Here is his link...Good luck and let me know! Hammertime~

Chris Wiesner
National Ram Electronics
920 Terry Hill Road
Alpine NY 14805

607-594-4084
http://natramelec.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.