• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac App Store hastens Apple's plans to cease boxed software sales - rumour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
bad idea. some people cant rely on their internet. I hope this doesn't become true.

I will never download something such as logic etc. the files are far too big. i doubt it will actually happen.

Reaction score
I agree. It's a terrible idea to get away from physical media completely. I'm lucky with my internet service, but some people have bandwidth limits by the month, some people have very slow connections... Not everyone can download huge files like that. And even some who can, don't want to do it. It's much easier to grab a disc off the shelf and pop it in...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So what? Do you think Apple Stores are the ONLY place to purchase boxed software? This is Apple's decision for how it plans to handle the software it sells. This has no impact on anyone in any way.

Reaction score
Well, as long as they don't stop making physical media for their stuff, ie. iLife, iWork, Aperture, Logic, etc. then it won't have any impact :) Sure it's fine if they want to stop selling it in store, as long as they still make it, is all that I was getting at.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree. It's not a big deal as you can always purchase the boxed software at on line distributors and resellers such as Amazon. As a matter of fact, you're better off not buying direct from Apple because they offer no discounts.

Our Apple store near my home sells titles like MS Office and Adobe software for full retail. I can easily beat those prices by shopping on line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I can see exactly where all of you come from; and I'm sure some of you are probably much older than me...I'm 19. But I've always been superfluously fascinated with digital media rather than physical media. When it comes to my xbox 360, I've been converting all of my games to their "Games on Demand" which are digital downloads, rather than buying the actual disc. Of course, this is much more expensive than buying the game used(5$ vs say 20$) but in the long run, I like knowing I have the software purchased and locked into my account for good, where I can never lose it...the way I lose physical things left and right.

As far as things going from physical to digital, I'm all for it because it's that much more of a plus to me. But I also, very much so, see the point where you all are coming from when it comes to getting rid of the physical media. I think this is Apple's way of FORCING people into digital?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. It's not a big deal as you can always purchase the boxed software at on line distributors and resellers such as Amazon. As a matter of fact, you're better off not buying direct from Apple because they offer no discounts.

This brings up another point... Will the Mac App Store offer discounts (as already seen with Apps like Aperture) since Apple will not have to pay for shipping and not have to use store space for those items?

This could be a win/win.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Not only that MymacROX, but think if physical media production was just taken away completely(no factories, no shipping or storing like you said, no physical production cost).

Very good point!

Reaction score
Not only that MymacROX, but think if physical media production was just taken away completely(no factories, no shipping or storing like you said, no physical production cost).

Very good point!

But surely they'll be smart enough to know that "completely" halting production of physical media would be a very bad idea and in their very worst interest.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Seems like Apple would like to sway customers more towards the Mac App Store being that it cuts their costs on distribution and the app store provides more easily accessible apps to the majority.

I don't see Apple eliminating boxed software, especially internationally being that bandwidth caps are more prevalent. I'd imagine at the Apple Stores they'd not stock the software, but recommend purchasing directly from the website or the Mac App Store and have customers decide for themselves, which options is best for them.

As for Mac OS X distribution, they'll continue to use a boxed option, no doubt.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
bad idea. some people cant rely on their internet. I hope this doesn't become true.

Well the Apple stores would have a net connection. And I'm sure you could download it instore and they'd burn it to an Apple branded disc or USB stick. That's saving in packaging and freight costs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Wow, didn't see this one coming...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well the Apple stores would have a net connection. And I'm sure you could download it instore and they'd burn it to an Apple branded disc or USB stick. That's saving in packaging and freight costs.

They could do that in-store, but wouldnt that be defeating the purpose of the non-boxed software ????

If they do this, what are they going to put on the wall in the corner where all this stuff sit ??? Maybe they are going to be making room for ????? in the near future ??

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think what he possibly could mean is that you walk into your local Apple store and buy a new MBP, and the salesperson then asks: "Would you like to purchase a copy of so and so from the App store"? "I can download it for you and place it on a disk or thumb drive."

I wonder how many new customers would actually take advantage of a service like that? Probably quite a few. Of course the Apple store also gets to sell you a thumb drive in the process. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think what he possibly could mean is that you walk into your local Apple store and buy a new MBP, and the salesperson then asks: "Would you like to purchase a copy of so and so from the App store"? "I can download it for you and place it on a disk or thumb drive."

I wonder how many new customers would actually take advantage of a service like that? Probably quite a few. Of course the Apple store also gets to sell you a thumb drive in the process. :)

This makes a lot of sense. I could totally see that happening.

Just a comment on the "what would you do with that extra space?" thought...
My wife's cousin was visiting last weekend and she works at an Apple store in Portland, Ore. We took her to our newest Apple Store in Scottsdale, AZ. She couldn't believe how large it is compared to her store. It's by no means one of the largest Apple Stores either. So, for smaller Apple Stores like the one she works in, any additional space in the store is very badly needed/appreciated.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I was thinking this exact thing. And there'd no longer be physical media software on display. it's just be a screen. Probably an ipad. And on the ipad you'd flick through the app store and pick the app you want. And tell the store staff, and they'll download it for you onto the media of your choice.

But this would create bandwidth costs. But I'm sure it's less then freight and the packaging costs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But this would create bandwidth costs. But I'm sure it's less then freight and the packaging costs.

I'm not sure it would. Apple stores in the US already have access to dedicated servers that provide plenty of bandwidth. And I'll bet the stores in Australia and the UK have the same thing.

Reaction score
Would just be too bad for the people that live too far away from an Apple store to go there! (that's most of the world, I believe :/ ) (Well, I mean if they completely stopped the physical media at least ,someday) Though I guess for those, perhaps they could do something similar, selling Flash drives on the website that you can have loaded with one or more programs that you order :)

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would just be too bad for the people that live too far away from an Apple store to go there!

The can burn the app to media and for a modest postage fee send it to you. That would not be for too many people as most would just download it from the App store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.