Organising files in IPhoto

Reaction score
Ok, so, when I had a PC I had all my photos organised into folders according to what "event" they related to. When I moved across I just copied all the photos into the pictures folder in Finder.

On my macbook pro I've used the iphoto software to organise all the photos into events - I've split some, moved some stuff around, and added new photos. Problem is that all the old photos in the finder window are still in the old PC folders. I have no idea where the new photos are.

Working on the principle of letting the macbook organise things, happy to let the macbook loose on the photos to reorganise them - but how do i do that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

There are several different ways to organize your photos and images with iPhoto. Here's one suggested method: LINK And, there are others. An on line search using your favorite search engine should bring up several more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
If your had 'Copy items to iPhoto Library' (in iPhoto, Preferences, Advanced) ticked then your photos are in the iPhoto Library folder (don't go there to move them around - just use iPhoto for that) and your originals can be backed up, left there or deleted. If this preferences option was not ticked, iPhoto has not actually copied the originals so you should leave them exactly as they are or iPhoto won't know where to find the originals.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.