Keyboard not working after spill

Reaction score
I spilled a cup of hot chocolate into my 2.4 GHz MacBookPro3,1. I promptly unplugged it, pulled the battery and turned it off. The liquid spilled onto the left side of the computer and covered the left speaker and some of the left side of the keyboard.
I turned it upside down to let it drain, soaked up what I could from the surface and then set out to clean it.
I disassembled it to the point the keyboard was removed and the cleaned it with denatured alcohol and Q-Tips. I scrubbed what I could carefully. The damage did not seem to hit the mainboard and mostly was contained in the upper "tray".
I carefully reassembled the macbook only to find that the keyboard is not functioning properly. At first the spacebar wasn't working, but now it seems as though the option/control/function and/or Command keys are stuck on. I disassembled it again, cleaned the keyboard more thoroughly and tried again. Same result.
At the moment the keyboard is completely removed form the machine and I am using a bluetooth keyboard. It seems to be running perfectly well except the fans are both on full blast from start-up.
Any ideas as to
A) If the keyboard is salvageable B) What may be wrong C) What I can do D) How much it would cost to get replacement parts and, if needed, labor
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome crash7800 to M-F . . . .

The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" thread. for light reading but seems you have done all you could.

A) Not sure. That would be one for a Tech to determine i think. Just make sure and double check that everything is connected properly . . . .
B) Not sure. COuld well be water damage as Liquid+Electrics usually = DEATH :( sorry
C) Taking into  to look at will only have them determine that it is water damage as they have indicators in the body in various places to show if water/liquid has entered it. If they do find that it will then cost you to get it fixed . . . .
D) Not sure either (dont know a lot do I) lol but have a look HERE for replacement parts and it could set you back min $100 for one. Then add on labour it could get up to $200-$300.
Then again if its done by  themselves it could cost upwards of 4-500 dollars . . . They can be ruthless and think they charge that much hoping you will go Stuffit ill buy another Mac lol

HTH

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi and welcome crash7800 to M-F . . . .

Thanks for the welcome and the advice! :)

More than anything I'm hoping to salvage the keyboard if possible as the rest of the machine is woking very well. Hopefully it just needs to dry out more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks for the welcome and the advice! :)

More than anything I'm hoping to salvage the keyboard if possible as the rest of the machine is woking very well. Hopefully it just needs to dry out more!

Too easy mate. Be sure to pop back in and let us know at how it all went.
If you could salvage the keyboard or not and so on ;)

Hair driers are quite good for this. On a low setting mind you . . .

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.