10 yrs since VLC hit our Macs !!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thought people would be interested in knowing that it is 10 yrs since VLC has first started.
For me personally it has been a great App to play around with. For there 10 yr celebration they have a page set up to celebrate all things VLC.
Every day up to 10 yrs and 10 days (now currently on day 6) they will put up a surprise for us on the 10 yr page . . . . .

Welcome to the pages for the Celebration of our 10 years of open source.

Now looking through the pages, i didnt realise that you could get extensions for VLC. Now i do and and there seems to be some nice extensions in there.

Ill let you do the hard yards looking around but did want to share this video with you they put up.

**** Warning**** might contain swearing . . . . . .

VLC promotional video
This is quite funny, and sorry about the windows aspect of it. Out of my control :)

Enjoy, and look forward to the next 10 yrs with you VLC

You Rock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
That promo video made me laugh so much,
From Player... to PLAYA!!!

On a more serious note though lol, VLC is great, I always try new and old video players but just keep going back to VLC.
I also didn't know they had extensions and will definitely be checking those out :)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Lol at the video! Loved the end, but I still don't get the traffic cone icon at all.
Anyway, I will be looking at the extensions too, interesting to know. Clearly a lot of us have used it for a long time without ever looking at the developers site at all.
Cheers mate.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I also didn't know they had extensions and will definitely be checking those out :)

- Simon

Anyway, I will be looking at the extensions too, interesting to know. Clearly a lot of us have used it for a long time without ever looking at the developers site at all.

Well glad to see im not the only one that didnt know. It is things like this that want me to learn more n more about a certain App . . . . Will be bookmarking it now hahaha

Lol at the video! Loved the end, but I still don't get the traffic cone icon at all.

HAHAHA and you probably never will Kev. But i have to admit it fitted in really well in the video. I have dl the Vid and my little 7yr old boy absolutely loved it too
He just giggled and giggled Really cute :)

Cheers

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Day 8 will keep all the people that dont like the cone happy :) These are some cool looking icons

20110210-eepdsubn1s7eejjptipghwar2g.jpg

If you want these go to the link in my OP then down to day 8 and they are yours. I think ill go with bottom row 2nd from right :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Those are some awesome icons, I might go for the second from the left top row.
Cheers TattooedMac

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It's still just a traffic cone....
Come to Britain, there millions of the things on our roads, can't make a journey without seeing them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can play YouTube videos in VLC? Didn't know that. It's a great way to watch longer clips without having to view it in their Flash video player.

I'm waiting for Lunettes though - should be nice to have a "more Mac-like version".

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's still just a traffic cone....
Come to Britain, there millions of the things on our roads, can't make a journey without seeing them.

Awwww Kev :(

I did try and actually posted this just for you after reading the **which is the ugliest icon** thread lol

So you not going to change it then ;P

@van Lunettes looks interesting. Thanks for the link

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol, no. I don't use it much now to be fair anyway.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WHat is funny is i have just tried to dl a extension and get a skin and watch a you tube video and i cant.
Extension gives me a bunch of cde in a web page, the skin comes in a .vlt (ext) and can only be open in windows and i cant find Media → Open Network → Paste the complete Youtube URL.
So i think this is for windows only :(

So sorry for the lead on as i was lead to believe it was for both platforms.

So for any Windows users of VLC only. :( :( OOPS

Cheers

PS unless someone can see something i have missed ?

EDIT : And confirmed in W7 . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WHat is funny is i have just tried to dl a extension and get a skin and watch a you tube video and i cant.
Extension gives me a bunch of cde in a web page, the skin comes in a .vlt (ext) and can only be open in windows and i cant find Media → Open Network → Paste the complete Youtube URL.
So i think this is for windows only :(

So sorry for the lead on as i was lead to believe it was for both platforms.

So for any Windows users of VLC only. :( :( OOPS

Cheers

PS unless someone can see something i have missed ?

EDIT : And confirmed in W7 . . . .

For Youtube videos you have to copy the Youtube video address into the URL box in File > Open Network... (or cmd+n).

Can't find any way around the extensions to get them working on OSX.

The VLC website confirms that the skins do not work on OSX:

How to use these skins?
Skins do not work on Mac OS X!
Put the downloaded VLT files in the following folder:
On Windows: the skins folder in the VLC installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\VLC\skins)
On Linux/Unix: ~/.local/share/vlc/skins2

Then open your VLC settings and change your interface from native to skins. You can choose your desired skin already there or change it when you are in the skins mode by rightclicking somewhere on the skin and going to Interface>Choose Skin.
VLC needs to be restarted to change to skins mode.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yeah, I was disappointed to read about the skins being only for Windows. But hopefully they'll address this with the Mac only version of Lunettes.

D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe in time they will update it for OSX too.

- Simon

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VLC Promotional video . . . . My question is, where would thay be putting this as to promote VLC ?

**Warning** Risque and 1 bleep word in it

VLC Risque promotional Video

Just thought i would share and finish off the 10yr celebration with you.

@Simon Thanks for that mate. I couldnt look past my nose and the **media** part of it.
Skins do help in W7 though and look good. Cant see or understand why we cant have them on the Mac. Must be a aesthetic thing lol ;P NOT

Hope you enjoyed all and sorry for the misunderstanding between the 2 platforms :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers for sharing it with us. Wouldn't have even known/ noticed this as I don't look at their website at all.

Cheers again

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.